Community > Forum > All other competitions > Why did the SS1 do 30 barrell rolls today?

Why did the SS1 do 30 barrell rolls today?

Posted by: roygrif - Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:17 pm
 [ 22 posts ] 
Why did the SS1 do 30 barrell rolls today? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:16 am
Arobie wrote:
Melvill won't be flying the next flight, but not because of the roll yesterday. He wasn't even supposed to fly the 9-29 flight. He was backup for another un-named pilot who was unable to fly because his wife had just given birth.

I would think keeping the most experienced pilot of SS1 in the chair would be a good idea at this point.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:28 am
I would not call it pilot error but expanding the envelope. During the previous flight the roll was during the early part of the flight. This time it was at the top.

They should try some rolls and other maneuvers to expand the flight envelope. My speculation is that is what happened.

Mike flew straight as an arrow during most of the flight and kept it going up during the roll with a great recovery. I see no problems, the design seems right on and the reaction control system works as does the feathering and every thing else.

Excellent design and excellent pilot!

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:10 am
Arobie wrote:
Melvill (. . .) was backup for another un-named pilot who was unable to fly because his wife had just given birth.

How nice! Spaceship rides will soon be commonplace, but a baby is only born once!

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:27 am
If the pilot is up there how can ground control stop him ? At that point he has the full go/no go.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:31 pm
Richard Branson's Virgin Trains have just introduced tilting trains in the uK so they can go faster May be there been some technology transfer from Virgin to Scaled? :wink:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:24 pm
Quote:
If the pilot is up there how can ground control stop him ? At that point he has the full go/no go.

Assuming that Mojave doesn't require range safety devices on SpaceShipOne.

:shock:

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:23 am
Oh, I think ole Mike was showing off for his swansong. Why not? YEEEHAAA! He definitely demonstrated the craft was worthy of it's capabilities. SS1, I hope, will succeed Monday. God speed!