Community > Forum > All other competitions > Hybrid Rocket Competition (SSO)

Hybrid Rocket Competition (SSO)

Posted by: Captain_John_Black - Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:01 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
Hybrid Rocket Competition (SSO) 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Hybrid Rocket Competition (SSO)   Posted on: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:01 pm
Who do you think will win the engine competition for SpaceShipOne?

From ...space.com

"Florida-based Environmental Aeroscience Corporation (eAc), one of two companies vying to be the engine of choice for SpaceShipOne. Competitor, SpaceDev of Poway, California, has also had its hybrid motor design undergo a full-duration run.

Reportedly, a Scaled Composites decision on which company's motor will power SpaceShipOne is near at hand. Performance data regarding the two different rocket designs is being closely guarded. 

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... 30912.html

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers." Richard Feynman

Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:15 pm
Hope it's Spacedev. I've got $$ in them.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:23 pm
From the information I have observed between the two websites eAc/SpaceDev...

It sounds like SpaceDev has more experience

http://www.spacedev.com/newsite/templat ... hp?pid=185

I'm rooting for SpaceDev!!
They're going to make space happen!

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers." Richard Feynman

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:10 am
Since I always shake my poms poms for the underdog I'm hoping eAc wins the contract. And unlike Spacedev, at least eAc releases pictures and videos to the public. I'll vote for the ones who are willing to release info to the public over ones who won't any day.

Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:22 am
Guess you didn't look hard enough :)

http://www.spacedev.com/newsite/templat ... 1&subSel=3

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:53 pm
Yes. SpaceDev has some photos and information along with that Tech Video on their website. It would have been nice to see "just" the Tier 1 firing but the video is a neat little collage of past projects with the SSO Hyrbrid firing at the end of it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that eAc is the underdog. It's not like SpaceDev is some huge company. They're a small and young company with the right stuff in my opinion. Regardless if they ultimately end up winning the Hybrid contract or not this is one company to keep a close eye on. The future is here my friends :-)

oh and to the "guest" response.... I've been watching spdv.ob like a hawk myself!!!!! $$$$

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:12 pm
My question is, if SpaceDev hasen't been releasing any footage or pics, what is it exactly that they are trying to hide? :wink:

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:16 am
I guess I better take back what I said about SpaceDev. Oh well, I'm still cheering for EAC. 8)

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:11 am
Eivhen, read above :) they have stuff on the web. Just an oversight by spacerat. It's just hard to find because SpaceDev has a variety of information. Where eAc is very straightfoward that's all.

Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:57 pm
Looks like SpaceDev is it.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:31 pm
Oh WOW! Thanks Irving. Just found the Scaled press release.

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/ ... s_text.htm

I guess we'll have to check out the SpaceDev ticker tomorrow spdv.ob