Community > Forum > All other competitions > photos from the launch of ARCA

photos from the launch of ARCA

Posted by: livia_ro - Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:53 am
 [ 17 posts ] 
photos from the launch of ARCA 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post photos from the launch of ARCA   Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:53 am
you can see them on the ARCA*s site at this link : http://www.arcaspace.ro/ro/lansare_Demonstrator2B.htm

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:14 pm
i think i missed something in this ARCA story, but isn't their rocket a model rocket? Looks very small to me (nofi), so what's the deal with ARCA, i simply don't get it.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:33 pm
on their front page:

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:40 am
siggy wrote:
i think i missed something in this ARCA story, but isn't their rocket a model rocket? Looks very small to me (nofi), so what's the deal with ARCA, i simply don't get it.

Firstly, it's not a "model rocket", it's a prototype, half the scale of the operational vehicle.

Secondly, it's the world's first reusable monoprop rocket engine made from composite materials.

The "deal with ARCA" is that they're accomplishing a heck of a lot with very limited resources.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:21 pm
Yeah, ARCA is making some serious progress in engine development. I bet they are a big deal at home. Does anyone know if their engine is pressure-fed or uses turbopumps?

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:33 pm
Stellvia wrote:
siggy wrote:

Firstly, it's not a "model rocket", it's a prototype, half the scale of the operational vehicle.

Secondly, it's the world's first reusable monoprop rocket engine made from composite materials.

The "deal with ARCA" is that they're accomplishing a heck of a lot with very limited resources.

Thanx for the explanation :)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:09 pm
umm are the combustion chamber and the nozzle made of composite materials too? cause I don't buy that.

Thank you

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:43 pm
a ceramic composite matrix?

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:44 pm
ok, ok. That being said, it really does resemble a model rocket and the diminutive size of the prototype didn't help that.

furthermore, while its fair to say they are doing quite a bit with a limited budget, they are also only really scaling up existing technology. Yeah, SS1 had existing tech all over it, but in this case, it's tech a child puts together for roughly a total price of 40 bucks.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:05 pm
Diminutive size? Demonstrator 2B is a half-scale prototype and roughly 20ft long.

Pressure-fed peroxide-ethanol rockets with composite fuel tanks are childish?? Don't think I've seen anything like that in Toys'R'Us recently...:lol:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:02 pm
Stellvia, I'm aprt of a small rocketry club that is building a 5 foot long liquid fuel rocket with pressure fed engines. we purchased the kit from Canada for $1000.
so you're right, the ARCA rocket is not a toy, maybe a good project for a large rocketry club, like the guys that recently senta model rocket into space.

I think what he meant is that, even if you scale your demo vehicle by a factor of two, it still won't be able to carry three people in space so its presence in the X-Prize cmpetition was not justified, but merely a publicity stunt.

Thank you

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:29 pm
109Ace wrote:
Stellvia, I'm aprt of a small rocketry club that is building a 5 foot long liquid fuel rocket with pressure fed engines. we purchased the kit from Canada for $1000.
so you're right, the ARCA rocket is not a toy, maybe a good project for a large rocketry club, like the guys that recently senta model rocket into space.

I think what he meant is that, even if you scale your demo vehicle by a factor of two, it still won't be able to carry three people...

You got any figures to justify that assertion?

It's worth pointing out that the Demonstrator-2B launch did NOT show the full performance of the prototype. The rocket was loaded with less than 20% of a full tank of propellant, because of (a) weather and (b) range safety limits.

109Ace wrote:
... in space so its presence in the X-Prize cmpetition was not justified, but merely a publicity stunt.

That's pretty patronising :x Why should ARCA be any more of a "publicity stunt" than say Armadillo or STC, neither of which has had a successful launch of a full-scale vehicle yet? Carmack seems to think that he could build an X-prize-class vehicle using mixed-monoprop engines, so why couldn't the Romanians do the same?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:25 am
Stellvia wrote:
Diminutive size? Demonstrator 2B is a half-scale prototype and roughly 20ft long.

Pressure-fed peroxide-ethanol rockets with composite fuel tanks are childish?? Don't think I've seen anything like that in Toys'R'Us recently...:lol:

Someone needs some anger-management training.. lol.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:31 pm
Stellvia wrote:
That's pretty patronising :x Why should ARCA be any more of a "publicity stunt" than say Armadillo or STC, neither of which has had a successful launch of a full-scale vehicle yet? Carmack seems to think that he could build an X-prize-class vehicle using mixed-monoprop engines, so why couldn't the Romanians do the same?

ahh she set herself up for this one ...
Carmack can do anything because he made Doom
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:13 am
Stellvia wrote:
That's pretty patronising Why should ARCA be any more of a "publicity stunt" than say Armadillo or STC, neither of which has had a successful launch of a full-scale vehicle yet? Carmack seems to think that he could build an X-prize-class vehicle using mixed-monoprop engines, so why couldn't the Romanians do the same?

i think it's because we're racist.

(i'm being sarcastic)

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Last edited by TerraMrs on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.