Community > Forum > All other competitions > da Vinci propulsion system confusion

da Vinci propulsion system confusion

Posted by: DerekGuyton - Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:22 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
da Vinci propulsion system confusion 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post da Vinci propulsion system confusion   Posted on: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:22 pm
In my reading I have come across two peices of conflicting information concerning the da Vinci propulsion system. The first piece of infoprmation is the DA VINCI X-PRIZE SPACE PROJECT - MISSION ANALYSIS 2003 paper in which they propose the same engine configuration as SpaceShipOne: a Hybrid N02/HTPB system. Yet in other parts of the da vinci website and in other articles a liquid bipropellant (LOX/Kerosene) combination is put forward. Which is it?

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post sloppy work   Posted on: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:53 pm
yeah. the confusion is due to the da vinci team not updating its site months and years after they'be made changes. you can find other outdated details there, too, such as the intention to have capsule and rocket return to earth together using a ballute. for anyone trying to get an authoritative picture of the project, it's a mess. :cry:

but i guess the team hasn't had many of its 150,000 man hours to spend on web stuff.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Strangely enough though, eAc still doesn't have one word about DVP on its website, yet they still have an image of their Scaled test, and news of the CSXT rocket. A strange omission if eAc is really the engine contractor.

Profile YIM