Community > Forum > All other competitions > I read your whippersnapper post Ralph.......................

I read your whippersnapper post Ralph.......................

Posted by: cdoak - Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:09 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
I read your whippersnapper post Ralph....................... 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post I read your whippersnapper post Ralph.......................   Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:09 am
and they say that after 40, your ability to consume alcohol declines. Maybe thats what is happenning, hey Ralph? Being 19 has its advantages.

Getting serious, u sound as if you know alot about the space program, how much longer do you think that NASA can keep the Shuttles operational for? 5 years? 10? less?

I've posted a message in the X-Prize General forum on this site that maybe of interest to you. It includes an idea that I have on how to help NASA (in a sense). Might sound a bit stupid, though its an idea none the less. Could it be possible if something like that did go ahead that alot of the teams presently competing could be a part of it? :?:

And another thing, Just do me a favour ok? You ever go in2 orbit, just give me fair warning if your going to play any of your gray haired music. I'll want 2 have time to "cover" my ears. :lol:

Cheers,
Colin. :lol:

P.S. As you may of already figured, I'm one of those mad bastards from the "Land Down Under." We Aussies are all known to be a bit mad and cheeky. I'm known to be a bit more cheeky than most. :wink:
Ta,
Col.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:53 pm
Hi Col. !

How long do I think the space shuttle can continue to operate? :lol: Well, it was back when I worked for NASA (in the 1970s) that the shuttle was developed (I had nothing to do with that, I was a telemetry engineer on the Satellite Tracking and Data Acquisition Network --- STADAN). But, in spite of still essentially being 1970s technology, the answer is "however long NASA is willing to throw millions of taxpayer money at it." I think it's high time for a replacement. Maybe NASA might give Mr. Rutan a call or Amadillo or even Starchaser and/or Canadian Arrow. All those chaps seem able to come up with workable systems at a far less cost.

But I'm just an old duffer ... whatda I know about it. :shock:

Heh, heh.

Welcome aboard, mate.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Last edited by author on Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:17 am
hey
author wrote:
Hi Col. !

How long do I think the space shuttle can continue to operate? :lol: Well, it was back when I worked for NASA (in the 1970s) that the shuttle was developed (I had nothing to do with that, I was a telemetry engineer on the Satellite Tracking and Data Acquisition Network --- STADAN). But, depsite still essentially being 1970s technology, the answer is "however long NASA is willing to throw millions of taxpayer money at it." I think it's high time for a replacement. Maybe NASA might give Mr. Rutan a call or Amadillo or even Starchaser and/or Canadian Arrow. All those chaps seem able to come up with workable systems at a far less cost.

But I'm just an old duffer ... whatda I know about it. :shock:

Heh, heh.

Welcome aboard, mate.

--Ralph
Quote:

hey author, i agree that uncle sam is not up to all things. especialy so, the space program. I worked on the shuttle mission making the power cells, and on a few of the main engine parts that pratt, and whitney made. the power cells especialy are difficult, and expensive pieces of equipment. sometimes all you need is simple, and sometimes you need something a little out of reach. Uncle Sam can't tell the one from the other. The politics are always priority one, and not a soul in washington can let the engineers just do their jobs. Well, only hours away from a big moment for the X prize, and hopefuly mankind as well.

spaceshot.. :roll:

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:52 am
Totally agree, Spaceshot. Privitization of space travel is the only efficient way to do it.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW