Community > Forum > All other competitions > Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines

Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines

Posted by: TerraMrs - Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:42 pm
 [ 13 posts ] 
Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines   Posted on: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:42 pm
their vehicle concept seems good and the vehicle in the picture looks cool at least, if a bit small, anyone know if they actually have anything now since they just entered?

EDIT: too lazy/tired to do a search, o well i'd appreciate it if someone else who thinks it's a cool idea does a search and posts their info here because i'm sure i'll forget or not feel like doing it.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:51 pm
Maybe it's just me, but this thing looks like a joke. They have interesting ideas, but seeing there "Craft", it looks really bad. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a working prototype or just a fullsized mock-up, but either way I wouldn't want to lean on it for fear of breaking it.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I really don't see how this thing made it into the X-Prize.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:21 pm
I agree with james, it looks like I can make also an x-prize vehicle out of a few wooden plates with some painting ;) maybe it are just bad pictures... :lol:
But knowing myself... I always chose the best pictures to show to others :roll:
So if they took more pictures :? what where the other ones ? :shock:

this seems to be their website: http://www.blueridgeairlines.com/products115295.html
Their website art is as good looking as the pictures 8)

But maybe the idea and the other parts are really very good... maybe they are just very bad at promoting their qualities :)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:28 am
Remember that the X-Prize is designed to promote innovation. You might think it's laughable to allow such a ridiculous team to enter the competition, but on the other hand, you "don't want to turn away those pesky bicycle mechanics from Dayton, Ohio," as Peter Diamandis has put it. In other words, invite everyone in, and who knows, maybe the result will be a pleasant surprise?

Although there is one other thing to consider: the reputation of the competition itself. If too many jokesters are allowed to enter, the reputable players will stay away.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:12 pm
yea, that webpage does kind of seem like a joke, either that or it's a couple of bicycle mechanics who just want to have some fun building a unique vehicle. i don't doubt that if they are trying to build a real vehicle here that if they do succeed it'll take them way too long, and i don't think the ufo concept really has much of any substance to it but i can't think of any reason why their engine idea is faulty at least.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:30 pm
Also, remember that Lindbergh was most definitely not the favorite to win the Orteig Prize. "One engine? No backup pilot? Only a few emergency supplies? He'll never make it!" But he beat out his better-funded competitiors in a surprise victory.

So who knows? ...maybe Blue Ridge is a joke, but maybe it isn't.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:55 am
I could take a trash can, in put a top on it with 2 holes. Then put some fireworks in it in light it in watch it go up before that would work! I hope to god that no one trys to fly in that!

A weather in space message board!
http://cat5superstorm.proboards18.com/index.cgi

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:53 pm
I hope Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines is a serious effort... certainly more serious than then the initial article and their website suggests. A certain coherency in communications to the public is always benefitial. ;-)

In other words, can the buzzwords and tell us what you're trying to do in plain language, and proof it for spelling and typos.

I note the article has been buried from its initial prominence on the front page of this site. ... an editorial decision I agree with.

But... maybe these guys do have a legitimate project ... and maybe we WILL find the green cheese on the moon that the Apollo guys overlooked.

Meanwhile, more serious efforts like SpaceShip One and Armadillo and the Canadian Arrow (even if it does look like a V2) appear somewhat more promising and likely of success.

Onward and, you better believe it, upward!

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines   Posted on: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:49 am
Well...I think the fact that the setting for the photo on their web site is a playground says it all. It's A TOY! :P

Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:52 pm
Yeah, I wuz trying to be nice. That image does not convey good marketing, to say the least ;-).

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat May 22, 2004 5:58 pm
They have an obvious problem with presentation of their ideas... not a good thing in a competition as public as this one. Whatever floats their boats, though.... (or maybe that should be "whatever propels their sub-orbital craft, though")

Post presentation   Posted on: Sun May 23, 2004 6:41 pm
Alas but if--as in the case of Blue Ridge--one does not present a serious and professional image, it raises the bar as to what you'll have to accomplish before you ARE taken seriously.

I believe, by now, regular service to Pluto might work. :)

--Ralph

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun May 23, 2004 8:05 pm
get on board for the low low price of 95,000 smackers!! hehe, if u havent seen the other thread on this topic under the "whos gonna win" forum, i suggest u check it out... taking into account Mr. Haynes' history, (and his apparent belief that the xprize judges... and the Court judges who presided over his case when he got in trouble with the FAA... are all racist...) I dun think this ship's gonna leave the ground. But who knows... if it works, I guess I'll have to eat my kidney...

http://www.xprize.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=273