Starchaser Update

Posted by: Sigurd - Wed May 19, 2004 7:25 pm
 [ 78 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Starchaser Update 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 24, 2004 11:18 pm
I don't see any reason for Starchaser to get discouraged. sure, they could use the US$10 million but they are in it for the long run, and can participate in the XCup events.
If all they need is US$2 million, then they are not too far away from their goal. When Ruttan or Cannadian Arrow win it will be easier to get more investment, because it will be a proven field. Unless Scaled or the canadians end up blowing themselves up and loose pilots and ships. That would be bad for fund raising and could finnish off the entire field for years.
If Ruttan wins Starchaser has the hope of being a leading competidor in a growing market. They have their program running. Other teams like Pioneer Rocket Planes haven't even started, guys like Pablo de Leon and STC are very much behind (but making some progress). A non winnig team with some operational hardware can do 2 things: sell components to other teams (De Leon can sell space suits) and attract investors that whant to copy Paul Allen. Starchaser has got a lot to show, like their Nova rockets, so they are in good shape. ARCA can also be an option.
The fact Starchaser and Cannadian Arrow have bussines plans will help get investors. If I were rich I'd be considering doing some bussines with them.
In that sence Starchaser is even better off than big corporate aerospace. If say Nortrhop Grumman decides to sell space tourism craft after the XPrize is won, they have to start from scrach (or buy a proyect from an XPrize team).
Is that not a good reason for the smaller teams to join XPrize in the first place? You get known in the field, and when the industry jumps starts like the Internet once did you can sell your concept as dotcoms were once sold. Financiers were just looking for anything with .com attached. If Paul Allen hits the jackpot again it's worth a try.
Starchaser's US$2 million may not be unreachable. I think they have a salable product.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:48 pm
just been to see starchaser at the cheltenham ballon festival, was realy cool to see Nova in the real after seeing it on the tv so many times n on that webcam! was a good atmosphere and had a good time. Think a lot of people were baffled when they saw a rocket! anyways wanted mike to read this so he can say cheers to the team for coming down! is great to see teams moving round and expecially coming this far south! keep up the good work boys!

Robbie

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:31 am
Thanks,

Starchaser are attending a series of events aimed at communicating the future of Space flight and space tourism. Everyone at Starchaser who attends these events enjoy meeting the public and sharing the various aspects of our project.

It's always great to see people’s faces when you show them either a picture or video of the NOVA rocket actually flying. People expect NOVA to be just a model not real flight hardware.

I will pass on your comments to the team.

At Starchaser we're still working hard on our X PRIZE vehicle and will continue regardless of who wins the ANASARI X PRIZE. While we would love to win the X PRIZE our long-term goal is to become a leading company in the new Space Tourism market.

Thanks again.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:41 pm
mike wrote:
At Starchaser we're still working hard on our X PRIZE vehicle and will continue regardless of who wins the ANASARI X PRIZE. While we would love to win the X PRIZE our long-term goal is to become a leading company in the new Space Tourism market.

that is extremely good news, i think you made a lot of people (at least everybody here) very happy saying that :mrgreen:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:51 pm
Have you got far building the Mk3 yet Mike? I can't wait to see Britains first manned spaceflight. More to the point, have they said when you get your ride on it? Send pictures when you go.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:57 pm
mike wrote:
...At Starchaser we're still working hard on our X PRIZE vehicle and will continue regardless of who wins the ANASARI X PRIZE. While we would love to win the X PRIZE our long-term goal is to become a leading company in the new Space Tourism market.

That's great to hear. I wish you guys all the best of luck!

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:15 pm
That's great news! It is one thing to win the XPRIZE, but quite another to build a new industry. With extra competition in the market, the prices will eventually come down for all of us. Keep up the hard work :lol:

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:23 pm
n54 wrote:
mike wrote:

that is extremely good news, i think you made a lot of people (at least everybody here) very happy saying that :mrgreen:

I guess people in Woomera, Australia also liked that!

I'm curious about Nova. Apart from a testbed for Starchaser's technology, what other uses does it have? Is it a sounding rocket?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:30 pm
and so you should be curious, Nova is one cool piece of kit! That's the rocket, not me :)

Yes it's main function is as a testbed however it is also capable of taking one person into space. There is another conversation about Nova on the "who's going to win the race to space" section. Therefore no, it is not a sounding rocket as such, it's something much better! :D

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:34 pm
george wrote:
I guess people in Woomera, Australia also liked that!

Perhaps not everybody ...

http://www.green.net.au/humpsnotdumps/woomera.htm

Sometimes, in the struggle for high technology, with the commitment of both great minds and great resource to the task ... we forget those left behind by our advances ... and if one is of strong conscience then one is forced to ask "What good is it really - for these folk who live, love and die in the dust of our frentic activity - when this activity does those, who need help most, not one whit of good".

I'm not saying we need justification, but it wouldn't hurt.

:: Edited By Moderator ::

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:33 pm
The aboriginal problem was an umplesant surprise. After all they used the aboriginal word Woomera (spear thrower) to show respect.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:39 am
george wrote:
The aboriginal problem was an umplesant surprise. After all they used the aboriginal word Woomera (spear thrower) to show respect.

It has remained an upleasant surprise for too long george.

I cannot claim to know absolutely the origins for the naming of the place we know as Woomera, but I suspect the place got its name from the original inhabitants long before they were marginalised (and evicted) by pastoralists of the early 20th century. There was a Woomera village before there was a rocket range. If someone knows different I would like to hear it.

If you want some information about Woomera here is a webpage ...

http://www.woomerasa.com.au

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:21 am
n/a

Last edited by luke.r on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:33 am
n/a

Last edited by Dr_Keith_H on Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:36 am
n/a

Last edited by luke.r on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next