Community > Forum > All other competitions > AS9100 Audits Free to X-Prize Teams; Our Way of Giving Back

AS9100 Audits Free to X-Prize Teams; Our Way of Giving Back

Posted by: Christopher Paris - Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:00 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
AS9100 Audits Free to X-Prize Teams; Our Way of Giving Back 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post AS9100 Audits Free to X-Prize Teams; Our Way of Giving Back   Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:00 pm
In support of America's private space industry, we are offering all registered X-Prize team companies free auditing services for AS9100, the aerospace quality system standard. This is not a sales gimmick or "fine print" trick, but one of the few ways I and the others at our company can give back to the X-Prize teams. In addition to financial donations, we are offering our time and services, with no obligations. We are doing this on our own time, with the full support of our company.

AS9100 is the quality system standard adopted by the aerospace industry and developed by the AAQG (American Aerospace Quality Group) and IAQG (International Aerospace Quality Group). When properly implemented, the adoption of the AS9100 quality system core requirements helps streamline operations, improve processes and provide improved customer support. X-Prize Teams may also be faced with a need to implement AS9100 when offering to carry third party payloads or use third party launch facilities. NASA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin and other large aerospace companies require AS9100 as a minimum for doing business with them.

In order to make this possible for small companies such as the X-Prize Teams, we are offering free preassessment auditing services to the registered team companies. There are no contracts, no obligations, and no fees. We will even pay the travel and all related expenses.

Preassessment audits are the first step towards adopting AS9100, and provide a baseline report of what is needed to fully implement the standard into the company's operations.

Our people specialize in interpreting the AS9100 standard requirements in ways that do not hinder the company's agility, and do not cripple its operations.

Again, this is a FREE service we are offering the X-Prizers as a way to show our support. I am specifically NOT attaching any links to our company's website, mentioning the company name or quoting any marketing language so that this is not construed as anything but a heartfelt offer.

Teams can contact me personally for more details.

For more information on AS9100, I suggest Googling the term "AS9100 implementation."

Good luck to all the Teams!

Christopher Paris

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:16 pm
Is Scaled AS9100 compliant? If not, by the fact that they have succeeded this far without it, I'd suggest your standard is a waste of time and money.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:52 pm
AS9100 helps companies compete on many levels. Scaled is, probably, working closely to the AS9100 requirements by its very own nature. I have been in discussion with them, and know they are not pursuing AS9100 certification at this time.

That being said, and without diminishing Scaled's amazing achievement, there will be more challenges for Scaled beyond just launching a test flight. They will, in the long run, need to deal with costs, customer relationships, supplier relationships, process controls, subcontracted processes, infrastructure, training, etc. Whether AS9100 can help them, or whether they can move forward on their own, is their own personal decision. My view is, of course, that it can help.

But it's important to note that Scaled has made an historic first step on a VERY long journey. We can celebrate their success today, but it's too early to crown them a "perfect aerospace company" not worthy of exploring ways to improve processes and reduce costs.

Profile WWW