Community > Forum > All other competitions > Ecliptic to Make Video of SS1's X-Prize Launches!

Ecliptic to Make Video of SS1's X-Prize Launches!

Posted by: Senior Von Braun - Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:24 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Ecliptic to Make Video of SS1's X-Prize Launches! 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Ecliptic to Make Video of SS1's X-Prize Launches!   Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:24 am
http://www.eclipticenterprises.com/newsinfo_launchschedule.php

Somehow I found a link to this site lying around the internet somewhere, and decided to see what was there. This is the company that makes the RocketCam used to capture images of the Space Shuttle and Delta rocket launches, and when I checked in the upcoming videos I saw Space Ship 1 right there! That'll be a great video to watch once SS1 is flown.

Unfortunately, nothing with the project yet but the phrase "Date: Pending TBA," but it's nice to know some of these things in advance.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:09 pm
The RocketCam sounds cool. However, I'm pretty sure that Scaled already has a video camera mounted to its SpaceShipOne vehicle. If you go to Scaled's photo gallery at http://xprize.org/messageboard/viewtopi ... =2220#2220, you will see that a few pictures were clearly taken from a camera mounted on the wing of the SS1, and moreover, those pictures are labeled "From Video." So I'm not sure how the RocketCam will be different, except that hopefully Scaled will make the whole video public, not just a few frames.

By the way, here's an absolutely stunning picture taken from SS1:

This was taken from about 100,000 feet, but it definitely feels a lot higher.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:37 am
Scaled does indeed have multiple cameras mounted on SS1. I was fortunate enough to see one of their guys speak at an AHA meeting a few months ago, and he showed some of the footage of their 15sec burn for us. Whoever gets to ride in that thing is in for one heck of a wild ride! :shock:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:35 pm
Quote:
he showed some of the footage of their 15sec burn for us

That's really cool. Do you know if Scaled will be making that video public? I'd love to see it.