Community > Forum > All other competitions > teams representing who again?

teams representing who again?

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:34 pm
 [ 16 posts ] 
teams representing who again? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post teams representing who again?   Posted on: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:34 pm
hey,
just reading the starchaser news, great stuff t see them starting to build the capsule. tried to see if there was anything happening to it on the webcam but mostly saw some lad throwing a ball for a big dog! anyway, they are doing their test flights etc in oz? umm can someone explain this to me please. That got me thinking about which countries teams represent. Who decided which country a team is from. is it where the majority of workers were born? where they live? where the rocket is built? flown? where the leading team member was born. their nationality? im sure you get the picture! and if starchaser fly from there then will they carry on? surely this isnt economical to go ver their everyday, or is it jus because there is a lage expanse of nothingnes over there? i was kind of hoping to see a spaceship over here in good old brit, but am not too sure now! always bris' space planes i guess! maybe ill apply there for my year in industry to see if they need a computer scientist, maybe not. Any replies would be great guys! cheers
robbie

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:20 pm
I believe - having just attended a talk by Starchaser at a local science fest' -that the launch choice has everything to do with the largely empty area around the launch site (outer safety zone about the distance from London to Moscow!). We were told the Nova launch was a height restricted test. Morcambe Bay just aint that wide a space. Of course the Nova launch also had to be fitted in between the tide going out and coming back in again (shifting launch pad rocket and all on to shifting sands must add an added level of complexity... I guess that's not a problem at Woomera!) Still the Launch Escape System test will be as big as the NOVA launch

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:37 am
cheers
shame they dont seem to come down as far as devon! soes this mean they wont launch any rockets from england now? not even the thunderstar?

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:50 pm
Starchaser are a UK team based just outside Manchester. To date all 16 of our rocket launches have taken place in the UK. All flights have been limited in terms of altitude and the size of recovery area.

There are plenty of places in the UK that have very low population denisty but these areas are typically unsuitable for recovery, i.e. mountains etc.

The UK has very good Space links with Australia as all the UK rocket launches in the late 60s and early 70s took place in Woomera. The rocket range at Woomera is very very flat and has a population of zero.

Starchaser will conduct a number of static tests of various systems in the UK but all flights will be in Australia. The Australian government has also been very positive and helpfull.

Please visit the Starchaser web site for regular updates www.starchaser-plc.com . You can also register for the Starchaser share prospectus and help Starchaser open up Space for ALL.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:52 am
Hi mike,

Welcome to the message board. Talking to someone actually connected with an X PRIZE team is always fun.

Since you seem to know a lot about Starchaser's activities, can you tell us what is coming up soon? Are you planning to use the Nova rocket again, perhaps with the 1-man capsule you recently tested? Or are you just focusing on the Thunderstar rocket?

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:07 pm
Nice new look to the Star Chaser web site. Interesting to read about the share offer. Nova looked great at the Science Festival pointing up at the sky... the video clips of the launch sounded great through the pa. Loads of youngsters at the presentation......... hopefully several future engineers and space passengers in the making.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:46 pm
We currently have no further flight plans for the NOVA / STARCHASER 4 RLV. Originally we intended to conduct a number of unmanned flights followed by a manned NOVA flight. NOVA's first flight proved we could launch and recover a large vehicle but to win the X PRIZE we needed to start work on our 3 man vehicle.

The NOVA / STARCHASER 4 RLV is now part of our Educational Outreach programme where we aim to help teachers inspire the next generation of Scientists, Engineers and Astronauts of the future.

We provide regular progress updates on our web site including some information on project plans. Starchaser Club members get access to the Members area where we provide more detailed information.

The whole Starchaser team is focused on developing the THUNDERSTAR / STARCHASER 5 RLV and it's associated systems.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:23 pm
Are the Starchaser team allowed to launch in Devon anymore? The last time was hilarious! Still, I hope you win the x-prize, your design is great, the work you have done is very impressive and I would love to go up in it. All the same, it is a shame we won't get a launcher in Britain and particularly in the West Country. I would love to see a rocket blasting over the English Channel to annoy the Europeans. :twisted:

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:29 pm
arent you an european as an englishman ??

Ariane as Europe launcher is also in part the english one ... ( in term of funding and research ...)

I dont understand your point ...

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:08 pm
No, I am not European and Ariane is quite definately a French program. I am delighted that some neighbourly competition can take place with our own launchers here in Britain. It is degrading having to beg a lift off ESA or NASA, and I hope it does not happen again that we put ourselves in such a position. Don't feel insulted, Ariane is an excellent booster and France should be proud that they have never suffered such a self-inflicted collapse as we did. Still, we're off and running now...

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:10 pm
I think we do fund Ariane, but I don't think the EU is like the US. There are still a lot of barriers or differences between certain countries and sometimes the UK stands out the most (not that we are ashamed of that).

Go Starchaser!! 8)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:17 pm
What happened with Brizzol Space Planes? Did they take their computer away because they were neglecting the farm? :lol:

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:48 pm
Really, I think we've only got one real chance to get the X prize, Starchaser. Bristol Space planes have got a nice looking ship but other than flying a card model they do not seem to be doing much at the moment. Like many others they seem to be suffering from a lack of funds!

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:47 am
>No, I am not European

Personnally, although i am french, I feel european, and before all I am considering myself as a mankind component.

I think that nowoday, it s high time men change their world vision.
See , we're in a space board, here we talk about the Tantalizing exploration of the cosmos. IMO space adventure is the story of mankind. For more stimulation and for redundancy, It's a race betwen different technologie, different concept.I share this way of thinking. But i m disappointed to see a race between 2 neighbours for no obvious reason... Moreover we're both living in a country in which freedom, and democracy are moto.

each time I hear that a US space mission is a succes I am really happy.
I was crossing finger for beagle 2 as i crossed them for MER A and B and the fact that they were foreign probes was just not a probleme, it was mankind one for me.

> I don't think the EU is like the US.

I dont think so, but i like to think that one day in Europe there will be no more friction or insane competition between us but rather a share of expertise. I also hope that cliches on each other will not perdure and that finally we will live in a continent free from contempt and hatred

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:52 am
and i wanna add that i am also a great Starchaser supporter
;-)

Profile WWW