Community > Forum > Bigelow's America's Space Prize > Gemini capsule: We can rebuild it, we have the technology

Gemini capsule: We can rebuild it, we have the technology

Posted by: NeuronExMachina - Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:25 pm
 [ 15 posts ] 
Gemini capsule: We can rebuild it, we have the technology 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Gemini capsule: We can rebuild it, we have the technology   Posted on: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:25 pm
Over on the Space.com forums there's been a very nice discussion about the possibility of creating a Gemini-style capsule using modern materials and launching on a Falcon V. It seems that such a capsule could fit the specs for the America's Space Prize. They've got a number of designs drawn up, and have done a pretty good analysis of the specifications:

http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=businesstech&Number=68932&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:03 pm
That thread itself was started by a thread here, where I posted some of the original idea's: http://xprizenews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=798 (which were then developed by mrmorris, before moving to the thread you mentioned)

Try reading the forum first :-) And yes, I think it's a very good idea :P

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:53 am
Sev wrote:
That thread itself was started by a thread here, where I posted some of the original idea's: http://xprizenews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=798 (which were then developed by mrmorris, before moving to the thread you mentioned)

Try reading the forum first :-) And yes, I think it's a very good idea :P

Hah! Well, I stand corrected.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:36 pm
Why? Why!? WHY?!?! We can surely do better than the Molly Brown! Now, don't get me wrong: it was a great design for its day, but that was almost 40 years ago. We must have something better by now!

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:13 pm
The jet engine is over 60 years old, and internal combustion is ~100 years old.

Total revolution in basic design can take a while. Its often not nessecary to throw something away because its old. Democracy is 2500 years old, still waiting for something better but hey.

The Gemini design was solid in concept and it never failed. That's somewhat better than the Shuttle...

Profile ICQ YIM
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:54 am
Hello, idiom,

perhaps spacecowboy has been speaking of improvements and didn't mean to throw away something.

Private spaceflight and the reduction of launch costs, flight costs and propellant costs require improvements.

A modern improved Gemini-capsule could be a very good idea - especially when the Falcon V is included in the discussion.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:14 pm
I have no problem with developing a capsule as opposed to an aerospace vehicle for orbital work; the biggest engineering challenge is to bring it home easily and safely. I'd also like to note that if I was coming home or bringing cargo down from orbit, I would much rather land at an airport than in the ocean.

However, it's probably a very good idea to build a capsule from scratch, while taking design cues from older, proven designs (such as a jettisonable retrorocket pack attached to the heatshield).

Also: the Gemini capsules were each used exactly once, and then put into museums. At least the Shuttle (when it's not falling apart) can be reused, albeit after lengthy and expensive repairs.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:30 pm
Couldn't a way be found to add some special wings to a Gemini capsule design? I'm not thinking of SSO's wings but something different. Could be found something that allows for feathering too?

I remember that in air flight there allready have been parachutes for control of direction and so on - but unfortunately I can't remember what has used that.

Couldn't the Gemini capsules made a part of another vehicle that lands at an airport?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb9 Augustin (Political Economist)

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:40 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
Couldn't a way be found to add some special wings to a Gemini capsule design? I'm not thinking of SSO's wings but something different. Could be found something that allows for feathering too?

A possible use for a Ballute system?

Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
I remember that in air flight there allready have been parachutes for control of direction and so on - but unfortunately I can't remember what has used that.

I think it was the X-34 that used the parafoil system to land.

Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
Couldn't the Gemini capsules made a part of another vehicle that lands at an airport?

If the vehicle had some thruster capability in addition to a parafoil it could have a semi-powered landing, this should allow it to land at an airport on a pad like a helicopter.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:03 pm
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/g ... afoil.html
Gemini was originally designed to land on land.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:40 pm
I believe that many of our proposals for the new revised Gemini capsule also included a more advanced heat shield than they used on the original, among other things.

The basic idea might be the same, but there can be many refinements.

Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 pm
Well at least a heat shield that can be peeled off and replaced. If a decent way could be found of replacing cork tiles life for your capsule would be a lot easier than it is for the shuttle.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:54 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb9 Augustin (Political Economist)

lol ecke do a search for rogallo wing :)
it was originallyd eigned for the Gemini program, and it evolved into the hang glider.

Thank you

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm
Check out the FIRST gl;ider as well. It used a Rogallo wing to re-enter, just without a heat shield. That's what Cererean Astro (when we get started) will be using for our launch systems.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Gemini capsule: We can rebuild it, we have the technology   Posted on: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 pm
isn't the Dragon module using a variation of the Pica-X material for heatshileding?

lol i immediately started to search for the Regollo wing to post a link, but then saw that others beat me to it :P

the 'chute system used for the X-38 was also pretty slick.

couple the right heat shield, chute system, and throw in airbags, like the Orion was originally going to use, and you should be able to pop that sucker down anywhere. you could even trow in some retro rockets for gits'n'shiggles...lol but that may be overkill.