Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > heads up to anyone looking for cheap engineers

heads up to anyone looking for cheap engineers

Posted by: TerraMrs - Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 am
 [ 9 posts ] 
heads up to anyone looking for cheap engineers 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post heads up to anyone looking for cheap engineers   Posted on: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 am
That's right guys, cheap engineers. The Cornell Co-op program is currently about 100 jobs behind demand, which means there's a ton of fired up engineering students who got screwed by all the big companies who are still hiring (or were lying about their intentions). These jobs typically last for a fall and following summer, though they can be for any period and are just required to last at least 28 weeks in total. Typically, the students are paid the monthly equivalent of a $30,000-$40,000 yearly salary ($15-$20/hr), which is much lower than most all full time engineers, plus travel, and housing if you're nice. It's very difficult for many of them to reach small companies and this is an excellent opportunity to find bright people who will be worth a lot more than you pay them. It is also an excellent way to build a good relationship with the engineering career office at Cornell, which can be a good asset if you need to attract top-level talent in the future. While I'd love to see a space company take on a co-op or two, consider this for your (engineering) day jobs too- the economy makes people less picky than they might normally be about stuff like this.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 am
TerraMrs
And who is it we need to contact?

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 am
Send an email to me (eak56@cornell.edu) if you want me to go talk to them in person, the official contact email they use is engr_coop@cornell.edu. It might go faster if I talk to them, but I doubt it they'll probably be very responsive. And don't forget to give spacefellowship a plug. They could link to us on one of their lists of resources.

The official date for people currently offered jobs to decide is March 26-ish (80 jobs or so currently offered) so you would be competing for the 2nd round of people looking, which means you won't really have any competition. With 100 people still looking it's safe to say that there's probably still plenty of top-level people who got screwed and its not all people with no experience.

On the other hand, if Team Prometheus actually gives someone a co-op I'm going to be ridiculously jealous... (or are you inquiring for something else)

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 am
I should probably give you a link to their propaganda:

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/stud ... /index.cfm

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:53 am
TerraMrs
Well, Aeronautic Enterprises Inc. Is interested. But they will work on the Team Prometheus Project as well as an X-Prize project and maybe some farming on other projects like SS2S. Yes I want you to talk to them and my email for that job would be monroe@aeronauticenterprises.com. I will send you an email with specifics. We are interested.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 pm
Are they graduates or still students? That's a good bit more than we pay for internships right now, and we've had no trouble attracting interest.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 pm
I'm new to this idea. Ben whats the going rate? Have anyone from UT? I suppose I should check there first. We are attempting to work with their Aerospace Department and the Longhorn Rocketry Team. I'm doing some consulting in Mechanical Engineering there for a rotating cylinder engine.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:29 pm
co-ops are still students but they work for you for 28 weeks as opposed to the normal internship of like 10-15, and as such are proportionally more valuable than a normal intern would be even over the lifetime of the internship. the only intern programs that pay more than co-ops are ones like google's, that are just insane. so the difference in price is because the student is taking a semester off (they make up those classes the summer before they start) in order to get enough time with the company to be meaningfully helpful. when i was at loral over the fall i pretty much wrote the entire software testbench for their telemetry tray and did their RS encoder, i wouldn't have been able to do something like that as an intern.

so basically, if you want interns don't go to Cornell, but also don't mistake them as interchangeable you'll get a lot more value from a co-op student which is why they cost more. and again, since the remaining students are running out of options you can pay less, but i'd encourage you not to unless your budgets are strained to the point where the difference between $12/hr and $18/hr is significant.

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 am
Ok I got ya! TerraMrs I am learning about these types of programs. Very interesting. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Monroe