Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Proposal to form an Association of Amateur Space Commission

Proposal to form an Association of Amateur Space Commission

Posted by: Monroe - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:57 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
Proposal to form an Association of Amateur Space Commission 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Proposal to form an Association of Amateur Space Commission   Posted on: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:57 pm
I have become interested in forming a collaboration of individuals to access the possibilities of forming a comission to aid amateur space enthusiast and groups interested in pursuing the space frontier. Hopefully a group interested in representing the interest of amateur space to the government and the public. Are there any interested people here?

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 pm
just for the record, Association of Amateur Space Commission doesn't make sense grammatically... Amatuer Space Commission or Association of Amateur Space Activists would both be better.

that being said, good idea i'm not aware of any groups that explicitly do that. probably better wait till the N-Prize is won for some extra legitimacy though...

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 pm
Oh! did I do something incorrect? :) ha ha anyway I don’t care what we call it and I’m talking about something like the amateur radio relay league. It's good your interested in some dialog on the subject. If we could get together we could be more useful and make more progress. I don’t really care about being a founder just a participant there are those among us much better suited to the task than I. I was hoping to get some talk going and see if anything good would happen. Way more important than the N-Prize I would think.

Monroe.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 am
right. i got the impression you were talking about a combination advocacy group (eg, improve regulation to allow groups to more easily launch, exchange technology, etc) and resource for connecting people with groups, help with hardware/software stuff they don't have the expertise to do properly, and generally bounce ideas off of (much as this forum does (with occasional success)). the latter obviously requires no successes to spur its development, but governments tend to take people with mainstream media exposure and a history of success more seriously. successfully winning the N-Prize would obviously give amateur rocketry a lot of coverage and legitimacy since it is something professional aerospace companies and organizations are incapable of. hence, someone like nasa would be more inclined to work with you when they know you already know what you're doing.

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 am
Well we are working on that!

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:03 am
i have a reasonable amount of confidence that someone will win it (though maybe not in the timeframe provided)...

Software Developer

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 pm
I dont know Space-X did a pretty good job of impressing the government. I havent seen any team members chating on this forum however. And of course Armadillo has some clout and what about Blue Origin? These people could help us all out if we could get them together.

Monroe

Fat chance I know, but a mans got to try or nothing happens at all.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:20 am
There is the rocket mavericks assosciation, but that is a club you have to have a membership (paid) to.

http://www.rocketmavericks.com/

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 am
Humm who are these guy's how? long have they been around? Are they really helping???

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm
Monroe wrote:
I dont know Space-X did a pretty good job of impressing the government. I havent seen any team members chating on this forum however. And of course Armadillo has some clout and what about Blue Origin? These people could help us all out if we could get them together.

SpaceX, Armadillo and Blue Origin are already members of the Personal Spaceflight Federation.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 am
Matthew
Thank you for that link. I am interested in supporting this group and participating in any aspect I can. This group is concerning human flight and I'm interested in a broader range of people to include everyone involved in Amateur Space Exploration. I like what this group is doing and it may help a lot, But I believe we need a group that helps the little guy and smaller group get started and find resources for the everyday fellows. For schools and organizations like AST and Tripoli to give a stronger voice in the government for Us experimenters and dreamers. Have contest and awards to entice a bigger group. I'm no maverick and our team needs help, the gap between us and our goals will require dedication on a level that borders on a dangerous obsession and devotion to a cause that only an act of god will let us succeed. These guy's deserve a better chance. There's no hope for me I'm beyond human aid, but my team deserves better. I intend to find a way. If you or anyone out there belives there is a greater source of power out there mention us to it. We are for all the teams in all the contest and all the dreamers that dream this dream.

Monroe
Team Prometheus