Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > NASA TV

NASA TV

Posted by: Stefan Sigwarth - Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:52 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
NASA TV 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post NASA TV   Posted on: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:52 pm
We all know it exists and whenever a shuttle goes up there, i kinda have it on when i'm behind my computer. The problem is, why on earth is 90% of the things they show, the control room, and just a handfull of seconds/minutes of the actual spacewalk or inside of the station.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Hmm..when I watch they show 90% of inside the Station etc ;)

They can't show all the time cause they don't have complete satellite coverage for video, sometimes they even have some seconds / minutes without contact at all.

Today I assume you see these animations because they had to stow Atlantis' Ku-band antenna for the work on Columbus.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 pm
I think they show the same video that is available in the control room. If you can't see live TV from space then neither can the controllers.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:40 am
I thought they relayed that through satellites or groundstations...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:51 am
They use the TDRS satellite network developed for the Shuttle. But this network doesn't cover every part of the orbits. Actually NASA had long time problems building this network with the Shuttle introduction in 1981.

I think the first satellite they put into orbit went dead quite fast, the second one stranded due to a malfunctioning IUS Shuttle upper stage and the third I think had to replace the first one.

Then they had the Challenger desaster which further shred their plans. I would have to check dates but I think it was only in the 1990s that their TDRS network was complete.

Profile WWW