Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Aircraft Carrier for sale

Aircraft Carrier for sale

Posted by: TJ - Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:24 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 34 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Aircraft Carrier for sale 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Aircraft Carrier for sale   Posted on: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:24 pm
For a mere 6.45 million (plus S+H I'm sure) you can have your very own aircraft carrier

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1169128&slim=quick&

Something like that could make a nice off shore launch platform. It probably has plenty of extra fuel storage for non-cyrogenic fuels. It could save a tourist company a lot of aggravation when the subject of launch licenses arises. Well maybe a private aircraft carrier launching stuff into space is also likely to cause something of an uproar internationally.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:16 pm
Lol, either that or the Royal Navy could buy it, it's probably better than the 2 new ones they're building anyway! :lol:

If HARC had a bit more money I'm sure they'd love having that to launch from though, think of the PR!

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:03 pm
Nova wrote:
Lol, either that or the Royal Navy could buy it, it's probably better than the 2 new ones they're building anyway! :lol:

There has been quite a bit about this carrier on the net in the last year or so. It WAS a Royal Navy carrier. Built 1942-45, decommissioned in 1960 and sold to the Brazilian navy, who decommissioned it in turn in 2001. See http://www.ships-for-sale.com/aircraft_carrier.htm for more details.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:08 pm
It was for sale on E-bay a while ago but its asking price was 7 million then so the price is dropping. :D

I've wanted one for years because a friend once said that one would make an excellent club. We thought we could outfit one and follow the fleets during the 1st gulf war and become the leave hotspot then. :lol:

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:11 pm
I know it WAS a Royal Navy carrier. The fact that their new ones seem to be having problems even before the building has really started yet is precisely why I commented they perhaps they should buy this one back! It may be old but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than their new ones!

btw, I was only joking about it in the first place

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:11 am
Does this mean that the UK is thinking about building a decent sized aircraft carrier again? Those Invincible class ships are cute :wink: but not much more useful than a typical US Amphibious Assualt vessel, well without something like the Harrier onboard anyway.

As far as problems building aircraft carriers it could be worse, from what I read the French had the Charles De Gaulle ready something like a year before thay had any planes with tail hooks on them. I think the Russian Kuznetsov carrier may not be fully operational and that was built nearly 20 years ago. Or the Russians Varyag carrier which was never fully completed before being sold to Chinese interests in order to be turned into an entertainment complex.

An interesting thing about the former HMS Vengeance (or Minas Gerais) to me is that it still has it's engines and props. It's my understanding that the US Navy doesn't actually own the engines or props to their aircraft carriers but they are leased. When one is decommissioned the engines and props are pulled out by the company that owns them. I've no idea what is done with them though. There's a few american carriers on the way out but I don't know if those are going to be up for sale or if they're in any shape to be useful for anything. There's also a couple in reserve and a couple slated for disposal if they haven't been cut up already. Get several of them and someone could have quite a floating launch complex floating around the equator.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:58 pm
forget the aircraft carriers this has been done in better ways already :D (much smaller ships built for the job)

http://www.sea-launch.com/

i'm sure one could get a good deal for regular launches if one so wishes

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:14 am
TJ, a few bits about the new carriers... yes they will be a decent size this time (50,000 tons+) to allow Blair to bomb something foreign. They are however a bit of a dogs breakfast (again). The two companies who competed for the contract, Bae (British) and Thales (French) have been given a bit each to make it politically acceptable. The Thales design will be built in the British shipyards under Bae leadership (?!). They are also quite dependent on the JSF F-35 losing some weight so it does not smash through the deck when it lands vertically. This could be fun as the aircraft is designed by a US (lockheed-Martin) and British (Bae again) consortium in 3 variants with Rolls-Royce engines and a job share between the two countries with Holland trying to get some of the work....Oh dear God, it's Eurofighter all over again. See you in 20 years and £50,000,000,000 later. Long live the Sea Harrier!

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:02 pm
luke.r wrote:
TJ, a few bits about the new carriers... yes they will be a decent size this time (50,000 tons+) to allow Blair to bomb something foreign. They are however a bit of a dogs breakfast (again). The two companies who competed for the contract, Bae (British) and Thales (French) have been given a bit each to make it politically acceptable. The Thales design will be built in the British shipyards under Bae leadership (?!). They are also quite dependent on the JSF F-35 losing some weight so it does not smash through the deck when it lands vertically. This could be fun as the aircraft is designed by a US (lockheed-Martin) and British (Bae again) consortium in 3 variants with Rolls-Royce engines and a job share between the two countries with Holland trying to get some of the work....Oh dear God, it's Eurofighter all over again. See you in 20 years and £50,000,000,000 later. Long live the Sea Harrier!

And here I thought that the F-35 was supposed to be a light weight fighter. :roll: Lockheed needs to be haunted by Kelly Johnson.

I bet our 4 or 5 gazillion dollar F-22's can beat your 2 or 3 gazillion dollar Eurofighters :lol:

You know with the passing of Reagan I've seen lots of comments on how he helped push the Russians into a spending war on military that helped collapse their economy. You'd think that the rest of the world would learn something from that regardless of whether or not Reagan actually had anything to do with the collapse.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:02 pm
TJ wrote:
You know with the passing of Reagan I've seen lots of comments on how he helped push the Russians into a spending war on military that helped collapse their economy. You'd think that the rest of the world would learn something from that regardless of whether or not Reagan actually had anything to do with the collapse.

The rest of the world should learn what, give up military spending? I know, so every other country should let America get on with building a huge army, wasting all its money on its military (as it is at the moment) and let Americas economy collapse!!! :lol: see any parallels anyone?

I don't think any country will stop funding its military, especially with America around!

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:02 am
A little harsh Nova. Thanks to the USA and its reckless military spending, Britain survived a very dangerous period of history. Remember those people were willing to take the chance of massive casualties in their own cities to keep us buying Sony Playstation 2's and not bothering to turn up to vote! :lol:

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:01 pm
Perhaps it was a little harsh but that statement I quoted was just so arrogant, I had to say it because of of that.

Anyway luke, what are you talking about? America helping Britain survive a dangerous period of history? Yeah, TWO YEARS TOO LATE ON BOTH COUNTS!!! :evil: If America really was our best friend it would not take them having to be attacked before they came to help! We owe America nothing.

What's happening now has very little relation to that and I don't see why anyone from anywhere else in the world should take a comment like the one I drew attention to. I know it may be hard for some Americans to take but they ain't the only country in the world!

Btw, i'm not anti-American, far from it in fact. Comments such as that though simply don't impress me.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:29 pm
Nova wrote:
America helping Britain survive a dangerous period of history? Yeah, TWO YEARS TOO LATE ON BOTH COUNTS!!! :evil: If America really was our best friend it would not take them having to be attacked before they came to help! We owe America nothing.

Yes, thanks to the Marshall Plan, you don't.

America doesn't need your gratitude.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:44 pm
Would America have had to pay any money to Europe if it declared war in 1939 as our ALLY in the first place!!! Instead, the US waited until IT got attacked, until IT was threatened. I thought true friends helped each other no matter what. Obviously there must be some huge difference between english and american meaning of the word.

Hell, we even supported the French again even though we have been at war with each other for most of recorded history. The ANZACS, Indians, and all other parts of the old empire all sent troops to fight even though they were not directly threatened. Why is it only America that seems to be so triumphalist about the whole episode?

Britain went to war because the Nazi's were invading our friends, that's what friends do. It's a shame the US doesn't feel the same way.

The Marshall Plan was simply a poor excuse for the US not being there in the first place when it really mattered.

America may not need our gratitude, SO STOP ASKING FOR IT!!! You obviously did not hear Mr Bush and his really insulting D-Day +60 speech.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:33 pm
humm, a cruise ship vecation ;) and on that ship as example on day "x" a flight of 2 hours or so to space, it would be a perfectly nice vecation... cruise + space :o

As example an Aircraft Carrier changed to support space launches, will meet the cruise liner and some passengers go to the other ship to get ready to fly... I guess it would be a perfectly combination :D

Last edited by Sigurd on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]