Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > University-company cooperation beats nasa

University-company cooperation beats nasa

Posted by: n54 - Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:27 pm
 [ 23 posts ] 
University-company cooperation beats nasa 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:13 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
EDIT: just want to add a quote i find relevant to this conversation, "Arguing on the internet is kind of like running in the special olympics- even if you win you're still retarded." arguing == flaming here, not debating. the first about 3 posts by you guys were debating, once you start repeating yourselves it becomes flaming.

I appreciate the general idea of your post, but can you possibly choose something other than disabled atheletes as an example of stupidity? It's in extremely poor taste.

And if arguing = flaming with no middle ground ... well, then there's no room for discussion of opposing views is there?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:19 pm
just an example, the people i'm insulting here are the people who choose to act dumb, not the people who got on the wrong side of genetics.

i'm saying replace arguing with the meaning of flaming, not arguing as in logical debate. like most flame wars here, this started as a logical argument, then when you start repeating yourselves and not changing your opinions it's just flaming, and isn't contributing anything.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:24 pm
But you do understand what you said ... right? I'm pretty sure that those who are, as you put it, "on the wrong side of genetics" would be a little upset.

So if I understand things rightly, the rules are as follows ...

not ok to vigorously conduct an argument in the public form

ok to slur a minority group not here to defend itself

... and finally, you are "insulting" (your word) me and n54? ... if that isn't flaming, then there is no such thing as flaming ... don't protest against flamers and then flame in the same breath. That's ... um ... what's that word ... oh yes ... hypocrisy.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:10 pm
Dr_Keith_H,

Did you understand TerraMrs his message yes or no ?

If you don't agree with the "way" he told you.. please ignore it.. you're making from every detail a flame war.

Do I have to tell you all the details I don't like about all the stuff on this forum ? on the way you're writing stuff ? the type of words people use ? no I don't have to... and you would think I'm an idiot.. so please stop it.

TerraMrs had a message to you, all you do is looking HOW he told you and what comparisions he made.. instead of lisening to what he has to say.

EDIT; disabled atheletes ARE disabled on some way... it's true.. and you're not... and that's a fact... and it's also a fact that you can ACT as beeing a disabled person... and that makes you look a little sad...
Still.; we should have all respect to disabled atheletes.. but still we can't say they are "normal". but still humans. we just need to give them extra time and resources, but I don't think we have to give you "Dr Keith", extra time and resources to just calm down and try to respect other opinions and just ignore anything that can turn into flame wars and when you make a mistake, just try to get out of it, instead of putting more wood on the fire.

I don't hate you, I'm not really frustrated with you... I only hope you have a switch somewhere to make you a little "normal" ;)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:43 pm
I fear my permission to post here may be drawing to a close, I have received an admonishment from the moderator in a section of the forum designed for off-topic discussion. Apparantly this admonishment is not for flaming, but for the way I am responding to a particularly nasty "throw away" line regurgitated by TerraMrs.

I guess I better answer Sigurd's questions ...

Yes I understood TerraMrs post, and I did make that clear (first eight words of my post on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:13 pm ... "I appreciate the general idea of your post") ... but working in a hospital brings me into contact with people "on the wrong side of genetics", I have devoted much of my adult life working to help these people and his post made me quite emotional. So I responded. However, I did not flame him, I did not abuse him, I did not call him names nor did I deviate from the thread he inspired. I was being, as you requested, chilled out.

Apparently you intended that I be merely silent. Which, I suppose, is "normal". In the sense that normal people rarely speak out in public against bad things. I have no switch Sigurd, don't think I'm not sorry about that because I am ... I can see all too clearly how much rosier the world would be for me if I could ignore the bad things.

I suspect this post will inspire you to lock me out. I have no illusions about the possibility of arguing against a moderator, particularly in the moderator's own forum. I would be frankly (and positively) impressed if this particular post survives long enough for many to see it.

It has been an interesting and stimulating ride.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:53 pm
I won't block you.. but can this topic be ended ?
This is not really something about xprize is it ?

I really think TerraMrs never ment to "harm" or make those people "look bad"... did you never have a moment you just used the wrong words to say something .. ? just offending someone (or some group) without knowing.... so please leave it at this.. case closed, okey ?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:55 pm
this isn't a general discussion forum, this is an off-topic-but-still-related forum. i do apologize for offending you with my cliche and easily regurgitated quote, which yes i did realize the nature of before posting. perhaps we need a flaming/true general discussion forum, but i personally don't like that idea a lot, if you want to do that go to a non-specific site like genmay.com or something where you can talk about damn near anything.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:50 pm
As the other moderator (besides Sigurd), I would just like to point out that this forum is indeed designed for off-topic posting, so everything you all have talked about is fine. What is not acceptable, however, are sarcastic or pejorative omments like "Um ... what? Do you read scientific literature? I mean, do you read scientific literature at all?" and "in your profile you've written "Molecular Biologist", would you like to revise it? or are you simply a troll?". I don't care what you talk about, but I do care how you talk about it.

Now where were we? ... Oh yeah, does NASA deliberately ignore identical accomplishments by the private sector, or are there subtle differences to explain this "discrepancy"?