Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > "Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"?

"Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"?

Posted by: Lord Vader - Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:50 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 

Who do you think is the Real Astronaut Farmer?
Burt Rutan 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Elon Musk 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
John Carmack 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Brian Feeney 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Tim Pickens 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post "Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"?   Posted on: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:50 pm
Ya the movie looks pretty good.
Anybody and everybody who has ever dreamed of space as a kid and wanted to fly in a rocket is going to identify themselves one way or another with Billy Bob's character in this movie. So here is my poll.
Who do you think best represents/most like the Astronaut Farmer
the "Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"

My vote is for Burt Rutan
what is yours?

Burt Rutan
Elon Musk
John Carmack
Brian Feeney

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:31 pm
Interestingly, neither Musk nor Carmack have traditional aerospace backgrounds.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 pm
I don't know, John Carmack is more an 'Astronaut Coder'. :P

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:18 am
O.K., It's been awhile since i've posted here. I was waiting for something to wake this board up. Theory and economics . . . I was almost ready to become a florist.

Finally a post that shows off the people in the industry!

Since I don't personally know and haven't meta any of these people, I can only give you my impression based on the media they have recieved.

While I like Burt, I don't really see him in this way. To me Burt is a true entrepreneur in every sense of the word.

John is more Nerd meets MTV. Smart, driven and cool.

Tim Pickens is the quintessential nice guy. Honest, bright and fun. Tim is the guy you would like to have a couple of cold beers with and talk rockets.

Lastly, is the most interesting choice in your poll. Brian Feeney. Not-So-Flyin-Brian !

To me Brian would be the perfect Astronaut farmer. spreading his Bull Sh-t across the western plains of Canada. Kindersley to be precise.

Not to mention that Wildfire Mk-?? whatever it's up to now, besides looking like a dildo, also, remarkably looks like a silo. Yeah, a silo with small fins.

So, sorry to skew your results, but my vote goes to Not-So-Flyin-Brian.

My $ 0.02 worth - Buck.Bunny

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:37 am
Gotta be Carmack. A classic rocket goes up, backs down and lands like the old movie space ship, and a few guys run out from behind their truck and shout yahoo!! It even took place on a farm!
http://media.armadilloaerospace.com/200 ... tedHop.mpg

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:55 am
Brian Feeney excellent choice, while he dose have the most experience in vapor ware. He is probably the closest thing to an Astronaut Farmer in Canada. :lol:

Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:18 am
Hello, Rocket Scientist,

I already adressed the aspect that the backgrounds are focussed on too much by far.

Burt Rutan is "a" real Astronaut Farmer because he closely and precisely seraches and looks which way he and Scaled Composites can develop space vehicles based on their Know How, knowledge, capabilities, equipments, experiences etc.. He develops space vehicles by small steps including cautious analysis and checks of what has been expereinced during that step and what the results were. He struggles to improve and enhance. He struggles for reliable innovations, low costs and enabling and adressing the general public.

The same holds for John Carmack.

So it's a pity that it is not possible to vote for both of them. It also is much of a pity, that Richard Speck is not on the list - have a look into his threads and posts in the General Micro Space Forum section. What he is working out and testing in particular for a manned Mars trip is excellent farming.

I will vote for Burt Rutan AND John Carmack AND Richard Speck if possible.

And very essential - Burt Rutan on the one side and John Carmack and Ricjard Speck on the other side are no competitors or rivals. In contrary -they are completing each other: Carmack and Speck are "farming" luna and martian capabilities while Rutan is farming access to space and landing from space reagrding Earth and atmospheres of similar density and thickness like the arthian one where vehicles like SSO and CXV can be applied.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)