Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Governor of New Mexico, Bill Richardson for President

Governor of New Mexico, Bill Richardson for President

Posted by: Sigurd - Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:18 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Governor of New Mexico, Bill Richardson for President 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Governor of New Mexico, Bill Richardson for President   Posted on: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:18 pm
It seems that Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico and a supporter of private space developments will run for president.

Some background:
Quote:
In December 2005, Richardson announced the intention of the State of New Mexico to partner with billionaire Richard Branson to bring the promising business of space tourism to the proposed Southwest Regional Space Port located near Las Cruces, New Mexico. In conjunction with the Ansari X Prize Cup, this partnership puts New Mexico firmly at the spearhead of the next generation of space advancement.

Quote:
In 1995, he travelled to Baghdad with Peter Bourne and engaged in lengthy one-on-one negotiations with Saddam Hussein to secure the release of two American aerospace workers who had been captured by the Iraqis after wandering over the Kuwaiti border.

Quote:
In 1997, Clinton appointed him as U. S. Ambassador to the United Nations. He served there until 1998, when he was appointed as U.S. Secretary of Energy,

Quote:
During the summer of 2003, he met with a delegation from North Korea at their request to discuss concerns over that country's use of nuclear energy.

Quote:
In January 2007 he brokered an agreement between President al-Bashir and leaders of several rebel factions in Darfur, the western Sudanese region, to a 60-day cease-fire. The cease-fire never became effective, however, with allegations of breaches on all sides.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6284673.stm
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01 ... index.html
http://www.americaforrichardson.org/

Quote:
I am taking this step because we have to repair the damage that's been done to our country over the last six years," said Richardson, a Democrat and former congressman, U.N. ambassador and Energy Department secretary.

"Our reputation in the world is diminished, our economy has languished, and civility and common decency in government has perished," he said in a statement.

So a nice question is, how can a president help the private aerospace industry ?
And feel free to share your own opinion about Bill Richardson (limited to this topic only).

My own feeling... he probably won't make it as president and his latest speech was a little too.. fabricated and not very spontane.. but still he might surpise us. I don't know enough about him to kow what he thinks about other political point of views.. but outside of aerospace.. I'm going to wait until the Democrats and Republicans start chosing their candidate and then the race of both parties against eachother.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:08 am
A president can help private aerospace industry by not making stupid rules for them. Get NASA to make some research opensource, or available to sell to private companies and off course, the ludicrous export-law and also the law that states you have to be an american citizen to work at an aerospace company in the states.

But let's get real. Clinton will be the candidate for the Democrates, nobody else. I would be surprised if someone else would be it. She is just way too well-known compared to the others.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Richardson   Posted on: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:24 pm
As a New Mexico resident, I would have to say that Gov Richardson has been pretty good. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree though. The "hey we've got problems at home, Govenor" crowd are generally the same people as the "hey we've got problems on Earth" crowd. You just can't please some people any of the time.

I think he's farsighted enough to see the potential for private space industry. Unfortunately, the milspace-industrial complex is a far bigger issue to handle.

It will be intersting to see if the eliminiation of earmarks in bills will start us on the road to the elimination of legal bribery (i.e. campaign contributions).

Anyway, I seriously doubt Gov Richardson would get the nomination, unless those ahead of him stumble.

He might be a possible VP candidate though, unless it's a Clinton-Obama (or vice versa... nah...) ticket. Maybe a Obama-Richardson ticket if Sen Clinton draws too much fire? Both very practical/moderate politicians, who actually like to see some work getting done.

- Alistair

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:54 pm
The Pro-Space candidates I endorse:

Brownback/Duncan Hunter----Republicans

Richardson/Harold Ford--------Democrats

Do not vote for Clinton--unless you want to see Dan Goldin back.
Do not vote for McCain--unless you want to see NASA cancelled and its money going to his fellow fighter-jocks.

Do not vote for any of the Libertarian Party members, who will dismantle NASA--as will any of the other candidates.