Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > The Astronaut Farmer

The Astronaut Farmer

Posted by: TheFlyingkiwi - Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
The Astronaut Farmer 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post The Astronaut Farmer   Posted on: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 am
Just found out about this up and coming movie the other day, it is due to be released next year and looks pretty cool!!
Stars Billy Bob Thornton, a forced to retire NASA astronaut who must go home to save his farm but still dreams of space and builds a rocket to take him there...

There is a good right up here on the Wickman Spacecraft and Propulsions website.
http://www.space-rockets.com/astrofarm.html

Iain
----------------------
www.kiwi2space.co.nz

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:17 am
I saw an advanced sceening of this movie last week. A very fun movie. It's about a man that has to give up his dream to become an astronaut to help his family. He then spends years building his own rocket to go into space. Everything is going fine until the federal government catches wind of his plan and tries to shut him down.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 pm
Ya the movie looks pretty good.
Anybody and everybody who has ever dreamed of space as a kid and wanted to fly in a rocket is going to identify themselves one way or another with Billy Bob's character in this movie. So here is my poll.
Who do you think best represents/most like the Astronaut Farmer
the "Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"
Here is a link to the poll.[url]http://www.spacefellowship.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2219
My vote is for Burt Rutan
what is yours?

Burt Rutan
Elon Musk
John Carmack
Brian Feeney
Tim Pickens

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:25 pm
Lord Vader wrote:
Ya the movie looks pretty good.
Anybody and everybody who has ever dreamed of space as a kid and wanted to fly in a rocket is going to identify themselves one way or another with Billy Bob's character in this movie. So here is my poll.
Who do you think best represents/most like the Astronaut Farmer
the "Real life Original Astronaut Farmer"
Here is a link to the poll.[url]http://www.spacefellowship.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2219
My vote is for Burt Rutan
what is yours?

Burt Rutan
Elon Musk
John Carmack
Brian Feeney
Tim Pickens

Rutan is an "airplane guy". How can an airplane guy be the Astronaut Farmer?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:24 am
Well I haven't seen the movie, but if you mean one guy, maybe with a couple of friends, building a rocket in his garage, who else but John Carmack! He has even done test flights on an actual farm I believe. Rutan and Musk are totally corporate in comparison. And Feeney? Give me a break. :roll:

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:54 am
Hello, Rocket Scientist,

you wrote
Quote:
How can an airplane guy be the Astronaut Farmer?
. And I remember having read such views applied or comments done by a few others also earlier in other threads.

It is not meant personally to you - but I neither can nor will accept such a comment or view without mnentioning some aspects etc. and analysis of the view/comment in this thread.

If and how someone can be the/an "Astronaut Farmer" or something else does NO WAY AND NEVER depend on what he or she is right now in this moment.

The only circumstances and factors it depends on is if he/she consciously and seriously looks or searches for ways to evolve or develop himself towards being the/an "Astronaut Farmer" or something else. It is allways possible to start at the personal competences and capabilities and to look and search for the proper or/and correct path towards the goal. And it depends on if he or she then really "goes" at least one of those ways of devlopment or evolution.

These are two of the crucial and essential properties of entrepreneurs. Each one with entrepreneurial properties and capabilities can be or become the/an "Astronaut Farmer" - regardless if he is an airplane guy right now, a rocket engineer, a lawyer, an accountant, an economist, a teacher, a historian, a biologist, a sinologist, a handyman or of any other profession, job or scince.

It simply depends on looking and searching for the requirements and conditions and then struggling to fulfill, meet and fit into those requirments.

Burt Rutan has done all this and he has done much more. He continues to do it all. And this also holds for John Carmack and others. There was an article about Elon Musk under www.space.com reporting that he has been on the beach in Brasil reading a book alout rocket construction.

A lot of expertise and capabilities required for rocket construction is available in software systems applied in construction of space vehicles and rockets. And Burt Rutan applies CFD regarding the aspects of the flight through the atmosphere.

Those who struggle to extend and improve their knowledge and capabilities towards what is required are "the Astronaut Farmers" - and "the airplane guy" Burt Rutan belongs to them.

The simple conclusion from what someone is right now to what he can be and what he cannot be is very schematic, trivial and thoughtless - it respectless and refuses the required attention for persoanl properties, personal capabilities, personal achievements, personal doings and personal motivations.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)