Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Space Colonization - A Poll

Space Colonization - A Poll

Posted by: FerrisValyn - Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:58 pm
 [ 94 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

How many years are we away from Space Colonization?
Already started 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
5 years 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
10 years 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
20 years 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
50 years 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
75 years 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
100 years 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
We are never gonna colonize space 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm
FerrisValyn wrote:
But people have also been talking about time travel...bla bla bla...
You are just a true believer who is not actually willing to consider the real situation. Just go on living in your fantasy world where space settlement has already started, and in about 40 or 50 years when you notice that there are still no permanent off Earth residents, you will be the one saying "hey, wait a minute, get real, this is not going to be so easy".

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:46 pm
campbelp2002 wrote:
FerrisValyn wrote:
But people have also been talking about time travel...bla bla bla...
You are just a true believer who is not actually willing to consider the real situation. Just go on living in your fantasy world where space settlement has already started, and in about 40 or 50 years when you notice that there are still no permanent off Earth residents, you will be the one saying "hey, wait a minute, get real, this is not going to be so easy".

I've address every point you've made. If you don't want to admit that, well, that is of course, your choice, but thats not being particularly intellectually honest.

As for how things will be in 40-50 years, you'll realize I was right, when we do have mutlitudes of stations and colonies off earth's surface.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:57 am
Hello, FerrisValyn,

regarding Peter's argumnnet "fantasy" there is atleast one other post og him in any other thread where he used it talking to me myself.

He used it publicly in a thread and tried to illustrate it by the example of his six year old son who one day asked him for Captain Future wining or loosing a spaceship flight competition.

There is and was a very large gap between that example and what I had posted. I then explained in more details my thinking and he still didn't accept it but ignored it. He seems to be applying experiences with other people he already knows to people he gets contact to the first time and even if it is here at the message board.

I then told him that I am 45 years old and still it seemed - shortly after that at least - that this doesn't weigh to him.

This time you seem to be the object of this behaviour It is looking as if he deosn't know anything between "fantasy" at the one side and pure sceince or even theory at the other side. Peter, that simply is a description of my experiences as a poster and isn't meant as an argument, as a fact, as polemics or the like - simply a description only.

FFerrisValyn, please feel encouraged to continue and to try to fill that gap - I am doing that also. It's the best way and since this is a talk in the public there are a lot people only reading the posts and among these there will be several experiencing your posts as positive and productive ones.

There is a wide continuum of degrees to which views etx. are realistic, scientifically based, have chances of being actively made reality by their promotors and so on.

Perhaps the first step to orbital colonies will become the first manned DSS to be launched by JP Aerospace. Or may be I should express it by the plural - the first DSSs each of which may be larger than the previous one.

Not that I would want to see them discused in this thread but their possibilty or probability may be a sufficient reason to continue the consideration of the ISS or even Bigelow's Nautilus the first possible part of a possible future orbital colony.

And rpspeck as spacecraft cosntructing entrepreneur in principle is at your side, FerrisValyn. Please continue to post your creative, constructive positive way.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Post    Posted on: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm
Thinking about the numbers I got in the Financial Barriers section regarding the CXV and the numbers I use regarding the propellant(s) I recognized a while ago that

1. the main costs of getting into space are transportation costs and
2. the main portion of the transportation costs is hardware - not propellant.

This means that the costs of colonization, the investment into colonies depend on hardware-costs. These costs will drop significantly with the maximum possible flight rate during lifetime of a reusable vehicle.

In principle that's no surprise - each colonization of earthian locations have been done by reusable hardware calling even a horse, a camel or so "hardware" here.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7