Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > TV programme on xprize etc tonight, should be good

TV programme on xprize etc tonight, should be good

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
TV programme on xprize etc tonight, should be good 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post TV programme on xprize etc tonight, should be good   Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:27 pm
THURSDAY 12 JANUARY

Horizon
9:00pm - 9:50pm
BBC2
VIDEO Plus+: 972015

Space Tourists

Documentary about the men who are attempting to sell us a return ticket to the stars, as eccentric entrepreneurs and billionaire businessmen compete to turn space tourism into a reality. Virgin Galactic claims it will be the first company to take paying customers into space in about two years time, while entrepreneur Peter Diamandis established the XPrize - a $10 million dollar prize for the first commercial manned craft to get to sub orbit twice in two weeks.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 pm
Thanks Rob!
Missed some of it, but got to see some nice videos from Armadillo.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 pm
Couldn't reply earlier as I saw the the original post at 8:58, just made in time.

Pretty good program but concentrated nearly whole time on Scaled, Xcor and Armadillo. Still had some good videos and I was a bit surprized to find out that Xcor had spent $30m but hadn't flown anything.

Also a bit dissappointing that Burt didn't show anything on SS2 but I guess that was unlikely.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:54 pm
Yeah think that did the world of good to armadillo and virgin! Im betting starchaser will have words after not getting one interview on there, and being a british show!

Like to say well done to John Carmack there aswell, gave a blinding few interviews and the clips were great to see again! Well done,

All in all a great little movie, if anyone didnt see it then try catch it repeated! Got to say one of the highlights was the kid holding the estes ss1 model plane i have haha!
:P

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:00 pm
I recorded it, it was great :), didn't plan to see it first.. as I told Rob on MSN Messenger;. but couldn't resist.. :twisted:

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 pm
Great programme. Nice to see the people behind some of the teams talking on the mainstream tv (and to see real Scaled, Armadillo, Xcor and Starchase hardware in use (they squeezed in some Nova launch stuff despite not featuring Steve Bennett)) One was left in no doubt of the passion and vision behind these efforts. Hopefully next years X Prize cup will get some good mainstream coverage too .........and some of the proposed in service dates won't just come and go