Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Posted by: Andy Hill - Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:17 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
What's in a name? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:53 am
This article from Nasaspaceflight.com reports that some names have been chosen for some of the elements of the VSE.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?id=4333

Not sure how much credance I would give this as "ARES" seems to figure again, this is got to be one of the most used names around. Still I like the idea of using names from Greek and Roman mythology, its kind of traditional in the space industry.

We appear to have run out of Greek and Roman gods so its not surprising that some of them get used more than once. Not seen Janus though, Roman god of gateways who is supposed to be a link between past and future. I guess the movie/comic industry claimed that one, wasn't Judge Dread from the 2000AD comics created by the Janus project?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:53 am
Now we have Artemis for the moon lander, I wonder if the guys at the Artemis project will be happy about having their name stolen. Like I said before we appear to have run out of names and NASA keep using the same ones.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... temis.html

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:30 am
It would be interesting if the Artemis Project is involved somehow - they have done a lot of work about caolonizing the Moon as well as three of the jovian Moons.

I am not sure but it might be that I read of NASA-people being members of the Artemis Project which really seems to be a project only ofa privat lunar oriented organization - Lunar Reclamation Society headed by Peter Kokh.

Has the Project been asked somehow?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 pm
Andy Hill wrote:
Now we have Artemis for the moon lander, I wonder if the guys at the Artemis project will be happy about having their name stolen. Like I said before we appear to have run out of names and NASA keep using the same ones.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... temis.html

They will be flattered.