Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > What got you into the space thing?

What got you into the space thing?

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:08 pm
 [ 25 posts ] 
What got you into the space thing? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post What got you into the space thing?   Posted on: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:08 pm
hey, :P
Sat at my pc with a rather bad case of glandular fever after kissing one too many girls in a nightclub this month, anyways thought there was little news at the mo' so thought id ask the question., afterall we know little bout each other as a community!

What got everyone into the space scene, why is it so important to you? Why do you follow the x-prize? how did you hear about it?

Personally i got roaped into the scene when i was pretty young! i think primary school. The one thing that got me hooked was a game by David Braben and Ian Bell called "ELITE" twas a space game on the commodore 64! oh yes what a monster of a machine! later released on the Nes. I honestly can say that one thing started the chain reaction that has me sat here waiting to hear you reasons, well apart from the fever etc! After that got into sci-fi movies starwars etc then everything started exciting me, saw the starchaser documentary and logged in for the first time here!

So guys, don't wanna hold hands or anything but what got you gripped? :wink:
Are we just a lonely geek breed? nahh! :lol:

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:00 am
I have been into the space thing as long as I can remember. I guess I was born with it. I can remember my favorite TV show when I was about 6 was "Men Into Space", but I just called it "Colonel McCauley". http://www.aiaa-sf.org/dmtg/04-04.html
I watched it on a black and white TV before computers, VCRs and transistors.
And of course my favorite childhood book is, "You Will Go to the Moon" which I still have.
It was an exciting time to grow up, during the space race. Everyone was predicting great things for the future. Too bad none of them came true. Maybe the X prize will change that though. At least I hope.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:06 am
Dude, I remember ELITE! I had that game on my C-64 as well. My parents still have my machine somewhere at their house. Along with the 128. Ah yes, it's simply a classic machine. I figure one day when I have kids I'll keep them around as punishment devices for whenever they start complaining too loudly that their hand-me-down machines don't have enough RAM. :twisted:

I have a hard time answering your actual question because I can't remember a time when I was not into space. I remember being about 5 years old watching the first shuttle launch. My parents bought me a shuttle toy. i sat around going whoosh!! whoosh!! zoom! all day long. But even before that I was aware that we had a space program. I had books about the moon landing. My dad, being an engineering professor had Star Trek and Battlestar Galctica as his favorite shows. That, and boxes upon boxes upon boxes of Science Fiction paperbacks that he had been collecting since the '50s. These he loaned out generously to my brother and me.

I must admit that I did not hold true to the space-geek code. When I began to understand about space and how it's so expensive to go there, and how the government doesn't really want to fund it, I got real depressed with the whole thing.Then I read about the X-prize on Space.com. That must've been in '98 or '99. I thought it sounded like the right idea. I didn't hear too much about it for a while, but then in '02 things started heating up and I started following the armadillo updates. Then around June of last year, John pointed his legion of loyal fans to this forum. And here I am. And from this board, and other space forums like it, I feel like I've become a lot more educated about all things space-related. :)

Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:27 am
I grew up outside Hamburg 50 kilomters from my current home at the flat land in a small village of perhaps 4500 inhabitants surrounded by fields, apple farms, cherry farms and the like.

There was no light pollution out there but I could see the lights of Hamburg. The stars were bright and I looked up to them and was fascinated before I was eight years old.

My youngest uncle - just 16 years older than me myself - told me a lot about them. made drawings by pencil and explained this and that.

I wtached the first lunar fligth Christmas 1968 by TV and the first lunar landing later and other landings too.

A few years later the original series Star Trek came over here by TV and I watched it because of planets and stars.

When I was ten I entered the Gymnasium Athenaeum in Stade where a teacher offered volunteer Astronomy workshops. They included observations, evaluation of observations, photographing, astrophysics etc. Participoants had to be thirteen years old at least and I joined the workshop when I was at that age. Mainly I observed the sun and measured the diamter and surface of sun spots.

My fascination grew - but there were other fascinations too and after school I concentrated on Economics and the like including - privately - Philosophics.

A few years ago private reasons made me remember space missions, space vehicles plus Astronomy - I felt space to be a place to be hidden and alone in and disappointments to be kept from me.

A short time later the private reasons changed but then they turned again my thoughts to space another way. I remebered what I had been thinking about, I read of the XPRIZE and Burt Rutan under www.welt.de and saw that some of my earlier thoughts and intentions were going to come true slightly. I recognized solutions I missed earlier plus I recognized that I could assist perhaps.

So I entered theis message board.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:02 pm
Well, I've always been into rockets and space stuff. My parents tell me that when I was a little tyke, I came into the livingroom and watched the cruise missiles take off during the First Gulf War, and then I picked up a carboard tube and threw it and I was like "It's a SCUD!" Anyway, I watched alot of NOVA programs by PBS that my mom taped for me when I was younger. And more recently, I got into ameteur experimental rocketry, but that's sort of had to slide b/c of school. I think I read about the X-Prize in Popular Science or something, which got me on the forum here.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:38 pm
Let's see... Mental snapshots:

Scene I: My parents and I walking through the sticky, gooey mud behind our house in Keystone Heights, FL towards the lake to watch a Shuttle launch -- a bright flare in the early evening.

Scene II: Us gathered around the TV to watch Earth: The Final Conflict (a short-lived series, and one of Roddenberry's better works).

Scene III: Me reading endless histories of the exploits of fighter pilots in WWII and science-fiction books, which both got deeper and thicker as I grew older.

Scene IV: My dad and I setting up my Bushnell telescope in the backyard (it's *way* to sensitive to motion for easy use, but it's simple and powerful -- all a kid really needs), trying to keep from getting eaten alive by the mosquitos.

Scene V: Opening up an old black-and-white video on my computer's encyclopedia, right after watching the color video of the awe-inspiring launch that made that black-and-white video and the ever-famous words possible.

Scene VI: Me endlessly playing Escape Velocity: Override that I found out about from a friend, and thinking, "Wow..... Now *THAT* would be awesome..........."

Scene VII: Same friend and I making insane plans to win the X Prize before having graduated high school -- I even requested (and received) an entry packet from the Foundation under the name of Astrotech, Inc. -- that we never actually got around to incorporating, for a thousand unimportant reasons.

Scene VIII: Watching the news coverage of Columbia and deciding to do something about it.

Scene IX: Downloading and listening to Fire in the Sky by Kristoph Klover (http://www.prometheus-music.com/space.html) on my old 56k modem, and immediately grabbing my guitar and learning to play it.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:31 pm
Birthright.

I am a second-generation engineer. I have an elder sibling whose birth story includes mother being driven to the hospital by a neighbor because my dad was at the Cape. No, he didn't fly; seems that the proj. Gemini folks felt that he needed to be present during every mission.

I have NASA- and vendor- provided original 8x10 prints of most of the original space-race hardware, loot that was brought home by my father. In the 2nd grade ('way back in the early 70's) for show-and-tell I brought in a piece of a rare exotic material known as "mylar" that was used in space suit construction.

I grew up in a community where many of my friend's fathers also worked in aerospace, they had jobs at Rockwell, Grumman, Boeing, Northrop, Lockheed... California used to be rife with them (still is to a smaller extent). I have siblings employed by primes.

I read about the Xprize in the late '90s, but lost hope when nobody claimed the CATS prize, which presumably was a much easier feat (I really thought you were gonna do it, JP). But when I caught the wire item spawned by Burt's first press release in mid 2003, I just knew that it was a done deal (been a Rutan fan since the first time I laid eyes on the Long EZ in a trade rag).

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:49 pm
Hey everyone! Long time no talk, I know. Things have been beyond crazy. I'm sitting in my Intro to Engineering lab... bored out of my mind! So I decided to stop by. Though I do need to change my username since I'm not exactly at Riddle :P Classes are mostly boring so far... Calc 2, although supposed to be the hardest math class at the university, seems to be mostly review from AP Calc in high school. Chem for Engineers is mostly "What's the difference between a molecular and an ionic bond?" so it's a waste of time for me so far. Technical Presentations is actually my best class, and I don't usually like English classes. Then I have a bunch of random other classes adding up to 17 credits, a little much for first semester but I'm doing fine. I'm in SWE, AIAA, and SPS (society of physics students)... I want to be in SEDS, but their meetings are in the middle of my Fridays, I'm in class during that time :?

ANYWAYS... I got involved in space when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My dad used to take me outside every night with our telescope. It wasn't a spectacular telescope, but it was enough... I fell in love with space. I later got involved in a lot of other things... sports and clubs and other activities. Space got stuck on the back burner. I wanted to be a marine biologist, a doctor, etc... Then my first boyfriend, back when I was 13, was obsessed with space. And he got me rehooked. And I've been stuck in it ever since. He by the way, is majoring in astronomy and physics at UF now. But getting me back into space is the one thing I will always thank him for ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:25 pm
erau: Hey, you! Glad to see you back in here! Where'd you end up? I'm guessing not GT, since I don't recognize the name "Technical Presentations"..... And I know what you mean with class/club schedules: the Yellowjacket Flying Club meets at the same time as my Computer Science for Engineers recitation -- fortunate that I don't need to go to that class often, so I can usually make meetings. If you ever cruise through Atlanta, give me a holler.

Seems that most of these involve dads in some way, and clear autumn night skies....

Oh, and Rob: there's no such thing as "one" too many, 'cause there's no such thing as "too many" in the first place. :wink: :D

In Memoriam...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Elite....   Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:04 pm
Good grief people, David Braben wrote Elite originally on the BBC micro, not the C64. I believe he was an ex-Acorn employee (the company who designed the BBC Micro).

Ports were made to machine previously mentioned, and also a newer version was done for the PC - but that was really difiicult to play - the mathematics were too realistic!!

But yes - Space Invader and its various progeny got me interested!!

James

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:44 pm
Hey cowboy :P It's good to be back... I'm at UCF. They have a good program (not the best but it's definitely well off, and getting better.) Not to mention I'm getting paid to go to school here. Once you take out tuition and dorms and food and all of those misc. college expense, I still get a refund check of $2000 a semester. And that is very nice :) Keeps me from having to worry about a job. Though I will probably get one next semester since my schedule will be a little more time convenient for one. Nothing wrong with a little extra cash! Hope everything is going well for you at GT... It's a backup plan for grad school so I'll have to come visit some time ;)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:56 pm
Seeing the Apollo missions live. The later ones I remember.

Going to school during the great dry period between ASTP and Columbia's first flight.

I remember going to Marshall in a school bus during those days and listening to one engineer talk about the umpteenth delay of the orbiter.

Nothing changes.

At least Marshall had a good selection of space toys. I got a Dinky Enterprise that shot disks there, some models--all kind of stuff. I remember some nice ERTL models put together on display there.

Now HLJ has the cool stuff

Misc. links:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... otech.html
http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM613908BE_index_0.html
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7901
http://www.boeingstore.com/catalog/inde ... 76&id=1994

LOOK!
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAK23666

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:14 am
eraurocktchick87 wrote:
<snip>

Well, since UCF was my second choice -- decided ERAU would lead only to NASA -- congratulations. They've got a young and outstanding program, and you're in at the right time to have a major impact on their program. I wish you the best of luck -- and the in-state tuition's a great thing. Trust me. :roll:

If you decide to come up in a couple of semesters, I should actually be able to introduce you to a few people -- getting into the interesting classes before too long, although this semester is generally boring.

And keep in mind that GT is still #2 for schools with a doctorate -- they beat ERAU in my opinion for atmosphere. There's this feeling (if you know where to look, and when to look for it) that anything's possible here.

Oh, and I forgot....

Scene X: looking up at the various stained glass panels in the window of my dining hall here that were donated by classes from long ago, seeing the one labeled "AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING", and thinking, "Wow. I'm actually here..."

In Memoriam...

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 pm
Other then the possible exception of campbelp2002 it looks as if I'm the first one, in this group who have posted on this topic so far, to become hooked on spaceflight. Growing up in the '50s' (yes children, I'm THAT old) I watched the series of spaceflight programs produced by Disney. This was around Sputnik time and we students were crawling under our desks at school for duck and cover practice more then ever before :lol: I read space articles in "Boys Life" and Pop Sci and of course I avidly followed everything the US space program did as well as those commie rat fink russkies(who always seemed to be ahead of us!). Watching the moon landings almost seemed like a dream. One dream, among others, that Vietnam put an end to for me but that's another story.

I must say that I lost some interest when NASA went over to the Shuttle program. It made a lot of noise, smoke and flame and did some pretty impressive stuff (like launching Hubble) but it didn't really GO anywhere.

I found this forum at the time SS1 was going for the XP...I was looking for people to talk with about it. Found out that this ia a pretty neat place where some really knowledgeable folks post. So thanks to all :D

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:36 am
What got me into the space scene? in the 1960s it was Disney, Heinlein, Yuri Gagarin, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Star Trek, Robinson Crusoe on Mars. in the 1970s it was Gerard O'Neill space colonies and Peter Glaser solar power satellites for their world-saving graces, as promoted by the L-5 Society and NASA. in the 1980s and 1990s and until the spring of 2004 I was off the scene. the X Prize and its result -- the flights of SpaceShipOne last year -- are what drew me back, so that's why I follow the X Prize.