Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Our condolences to the people of London.

Our condolences to the people of London.

Posted by: Sigurd - Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:55 am
 [ 23 posts ] 
Our condolences to the people of London. 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Our condolences to the people of London.   Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:55 am
On behalf of the Space Race News team, I would like to share our condolences to the people of London, the UK, and all other people from arround the world who lost or had relatives injured in the cowardly terrorist attacks.

Feel free to share your condolence in this topic.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:31 am
Thanks, Sigurd, for starting this topic.
I was here in New York on 9-11 and I understand the feeling as being something you cannot describe.
I have always had the utmost respect for the British people. I admire the way they always carry themselves in times like this.

If they expexted to accomplish anything, then I think these terrorists need a history lesson.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:05 am
Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we
arrive at that goal. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:00 pm
Thank you for your kind words, many good people lost their lives in an act that was cowardly, counter-productive and ultimately futile. We are a multicultural society with a long history of tolerance and will not allow a few evil individuals to turn us into a fortress nation that jumps at every shadow.

I think that a lot of people expected some form of terrorist activity in London, once Tony Blair became Bush's bitch over Iraq and its more surprising it has taken so long for it to happen. I was a bit dissapointed that Bush is not backing Blair more during the G8 summit but I guess that just shows the relationship for what it is.

I think that most people in London maybe view terrorism a little differently to how it is seen in the US. Remember we had decades of bombs in Northern Ireland and England from the IRA and before that we were bombed on a nightly basis during WW2, a bunch of cowards who prey on innocent people really do not rate very high as people to be afraid of. We fail to understand what the purpose of terrorism is when there is absolutely no chance of achieving any aim, as far as the UK is concerned, through the purpetration of such acts.

I think that the British people have shown their resilience to such individuals for centuries and that all that will be achieved is the persecution of the innocent and the prolongation of the conflict. Our government, to my knowledge, has never conceded anything when someone has tried to use force and any government that did so would be reduced to a few seats in parliament.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:59 pm
I might point out that Peenemunde was a helluva lot better at bombing London, and they didn't accomplish much to speak of, in the long run.... So despite the fact of over fifty completely needless deaths, I doubt that the terrorists (regardless of all their grand scheming) will accomplish anything. My condolences go to those who died and who lost friends and family, and those whose lives will be forever changed; my respect to those who have carried on, and have determined to permanantly eradicate (by whichever means they choose, military or peaceful) the terrorist threat.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:38 pm
This may seem cold and Darwinian--but I wonder if some well-to do Muslim individuals who want their faith viewed in a better light might be persueded to invest in some of the companies talked about here? It would be good PR--and more convincing that prepared statements of condemnation.

I would love to see some real oil money go to a choice few projects.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:16 pm
publiusr wrote:
This may seem cold and Darwinian

No, man. It is cold and Darwinian. And I might point out that the Ansari family (although not necessarily Muslim, they are of Middle-Eastern lineage) has beat you to the idea.

In Memoriam...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:47 pm
That's right--I had forgotton all about that. Perhaps we can expect others.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:06 am
I read in a daily newspaper (granted the Daily Mirror is a tabloid and may not always check articles for varicity) that the US military has placed London off-limits to its 12,000 service personnel stationed in the UK. Like I said in my earlier post we look at these things differently, obviously the millions of ordinary Londoners who work and live there have a different perspective. Does anyone know whether this is actually true?

This is the same sort of approach to risk management currently being employed by NASA which has kept the shuttle grounded for 2 1/2 years.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:15 am
This article confirms it was true:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4673987.stm

I think the chance of having a "second" terrorist attack after one just happend is as high as a "new" attack on a total diffrent place...

And yes.. it's same as with NASA...

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:25 pm
Nice to see we are all standing shoulder to shoulder in our fight against international terrorism, even if it is from a distance.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:33 pm
Arunnh? Probably sent by some brilliant young mind from Washington, a born leader who has put his college degree in management to good use in taking care of the unwashed and uneducated masses of nincompoops in the military.

Damned brass.

In Memoriam...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:32 pm
Remind me ... how many people die in Iraq every week? It's kind of fuzzy to remember that particular detail because for years it's been headline news around most of the world and has somehow slipped into the background fabric of normality.

Never seen a condolences thread for the Iraqi's here ... is it because they don't have internet access or something?

DKH

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:23 pm
ok righhhhht!
ok one, how about iraq is not seen as a global power, and England is at the top of G8? two, as you said it happens all the time so whats the point? a plane flys everyday but we dont go crazy about that? ok doesnt mean that it is alright but the lodon bombings were the first of their kind! in the capital of the greatest country god every made!

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:21 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Remind me ... how many people die in Iraq every week? It's kind of fuzzy to remember that particular detail because for years it's been headline news around most of the world and has somehow slipped into the background fabric of normality.

Never seen a condolences thread for the Iraqi's here ... is it because they don't have internet access or something?

DKH

That's actually in the territory of not even deserving a reply, but I'll give you one anyway: First, Saddam Hussein was disliked by the people inside the country -- particularly those whose families had been tortured/executed/dissapeared. Second, the civilians who die are usually killed by the resistance movements' IEDs. That stands for Improvised Explosive Device. Since the Coalition troops cleaned up most of the manufacturers of the advanced devices fairly early in the war, the ones being used now are effective only by sheer brutality.

So how does one fight a civilization whose warriors have no regard for human life? We did so once before -- and look at what happened to the Japanese in 1945 as a result.

In Memoriam...