Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Can Mars storms blow away a man?

Can Mars storms blow away a man?

Posted by: Quirrell - Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
Can Mars storms blow away a man? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Can Mars storms blow away a man?   Posted on: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 am
I've read a best-selling novel "The Martian" written by Andy Weir and now there is the first official trailer of the movie version. But one question is still bugging me.

"How can Mars dust storms be strong?" "Can they blow away a man?"

As far as I know, the Martian atmosphere is very thin so no matter how strong Mars storms may be, it might not be possible that an astronaut is blown away by the wind.

Am I wrong?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Can Mars storms blow away a man?   Posted on: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:59 pm
No you are not wrong IIRC the author admitted the thing about falling over in a storm was wrong on a bbc radio 4 interview possibly kept in for dramatic effect but much of the science was well researched for fixing up and keeping alive but any astronaut in those circumstances would have to be both very lucky and genius levels of recall. And i seem to recall something was found out later by one of the current probes that means that there would be easier ways of doing one of the fixes to survive possibly to do with the recovery of water

Profile WWW