Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > One of these things is not like the others...

One of these things is not like the others...

Posted by: JamesG - Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:31 am
 [ 15 posts ] 
One of these things is not like the others... 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:31 am
(In a sing song, childish voice) One of these things is not like the others. Can you tell which one it is?

Sorry I saw this picture and I couldn't help but post it somewhere with a smart, childish comment.

Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 am
The one with no welds in its pressure dome?

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm
Nope.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:25 pm
The center one is an Orion capsule, and the one on the right looks like a SpaceX capsule. The thing on the left might be the insides of an Orion capsule without the outer skin?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 pm
Nope. :lol:

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:09 pm
2 are second hand and the other unused?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 pm
Close. I like to think of it as two have actually been to space and one is a incomplete test article.

The Orion is going to fly again too BTW.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 pm
Question: Have all the LEMs used in space been crashed or burned up?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:45 pm
Rick Maschek wrote:
Question: Have all the LEMs used in space been crashed or burned up?

I thought there were some unused ones displayed in museums I think the British Science museum had one loaned to it a while back possibly by the Smithsonian

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:45 pm
Yes, all the extras went to museums etc. There is actually one (donno if it is real hardware or a mockup) out in the open at the Alabama I-10 welcome center/rest stop/Visitors center for the Stinnis rocket test center. You can see it from the highway (they are quite large vehicles).

All of the LEMs that went to the Moon didn't come back. The lower portions are still on the Moon and the upper crew module was jettisoned and burned up with the service modules when the Apollos returned to Earth.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:36 pm
:oops: oops I missed the "used" in that request but I did wonder if 13's might have still been in orbit because of the way it cam back but apparently no tho interestingly my vague recollection that there was one still out there seems to to be true it seems that Apollo 10 left its Lunar Module in heliocentric orbit.

Apollo 10
Command Module "Charlie Brown"
Science Museum, London, England

Lunar Module "Snoopy"
In heliocentric orbit

From

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lu ... loloc.html

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:38 pm
And apparently some of the bits of 11's came back and were kept in Neil's closet for a while.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/secret-stash- ... 1684449533

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:11 am
Problem with that is you don't know if the bag is authentic or someone stashed it later with Apollo nick-nacks hoping to cash in on the association with Armstrong.

I'd forgotten about Apollo 10's LEM. Shoulda' called it; "Close but no Cigar!". Its out there with the upper stage. I still think they should have stuck a bunch of instruments on those as a long duration sensor platforms. Lots of opportunities like that were overlooked because they were in such a hurry to get bodies on the Moon.

Apollo 13's LEM was intentionally burned up where it would go into deep ocean because it had an RTG onboard.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 pm
JamesG wrote:
Problem with that is you don't know if the bag is authentic or someone stashed it later with Apollo nick-nacks hoping to cash in on the association with Armstrong.

Who would that be? Neil Armstrongs widow? If somebody put those items there secretly, how could they "cash in on the association"? The only plausible scenario I could see is a plot by the Smithsonian('s National Air and Space Museum) to sell more tickets to future exhibitions... sounds realistic.. :P

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: One of these things is not like the others...   Posted on: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:10 pm
Stranger things have happened...