Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Master the Vacuum

Master the Vacuum

Posted by: Crazy Ben - Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 pm
 [ 1 post ] 
Master the Vacuum 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Master the Vacuum   Posted on: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:59 pm
After reading Dragonfly by Brian Burrough, I was absolutely fascinated with the idea of living in space. These people's lives and habitat were as close as one could get to Han Solo, Jean-Luc Piccard, a YT-1300 freighter or a warp drive. Years passed as I watched the ISS construction from the comfort of my couch, and I grew somewhat cynical of this remarkable human achievement. Like many others I lacked the patience to see the methodical usefulness of a 100 billion dollar floating tin can. It wasn't new, and after a decade it certainly wasn't exciting. Mars. The Holy Grail in the sky. The space entities without a plan to conquer the God of War had no plan in my opinion.

However, as I approach forty my mind is changing. I see now how absolutely extraordinary Earth's hospitality really is. I have personally witnessed from January 28th, 1986 up through last week just how damn difficult our dreams can be. The floating tin can has new meaning, a hard won foothold paid for by the lives of some of our finest in a universe seemingly determined to kill us all. In the face of that harsh vacuum the weak sprouts of lettuce on board the ISS bring a tear to my eye, and I watch mesmerized as the dragon flashes it's parking strobe to deliver more sustenance to our fragile dream. On some level we need to begrudgingly accept the movement into space as a generational one. It's timeline is longer than any of us as individuals.

When we go the only thing we can take with us is our engineering and our adaptability. People can and should continue to make bold and daring plans of exploration. Commercial companies need to continue to develop safer and more affordable human transportation out of our gravity well. Just don't be surprised if it takes another 100 years to get to Mars. In the meantime we need to support Musk, Bigelow, NASA and others with the means, desire and talent to push the envelope. The reality is likely somewhere in between. I imagine a growing armada of manned BA-330s that slowly drift into the blackness one by one disappearing from view.