Deployment of Space Weapons

Posted by: Andy Hill - Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 pm
 [ 68 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deployment of Space Weapons 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Deployment of Space Weapons   Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 pm
With the US's desire to deploy space weapons becoming more evident, despite the fact that Bush said last year that America had no intention of doing so, it seems enevitable that other countries will follow suit. Even India is talking about taking steps to deal with this eventuality.

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.as ... es&Topic=0

Russia has so far said that it wont make space into the next battlefield, but faced with the possibility of orbiting arms platforms it seems unlikely that they will not deploy their own.

http://en.rian.ru/articles/20050426/39745039.html

What effect will this have on the ISS if America decides to use it for research into space based weapons? Will we see some of the countries involved withdraw from the programme, Canada has said that it would have to review its involvement if that happened and others might as well.

Will militarisation of space be divisive and create another cold war in space and an arms race?

Do people think that this could or should be avoided or is this seen as a plus that is going to help develop space technology and infrastructure?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:09 pm
I can't see the ISS being used for military research. After all, there may be an astronaut from an opposing power there to watch the secret military activity!

However, military activity in space is very common and will continue to be. The entire history of the space effort is 99% military. The first satellite was launched to show that atomic bombs could be delivered worldwide. Most astronauts are military pilots. The Shuttle has such a large cargo bay because of military requirements. Most launch vehicles are derived from military missiles. The US went to the Moon to ensure that the Soviets could not use the Moon as a missile base. It sounds crazy now, but that was the widely publicized reason at the time! The only reason there are no advanced space weapons yet is nobody knows how to make them. As soon as some country figures out how to put effective weapons in space, they will. Then everyone else will too.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Deployment of Space Weapons   Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm
Andy Hill wrote:
What effect will this have on the ISS if America decides to use it for research into space based weapons?

As long as you don't actually use the word "weapon" in your project proposal then you can probably do ANY research you want if you pay for it, I can't see the ISS turning experiments away if they come with their own funding. So that's no problem.
Quote:
Will militarisation of space be divisive and create another cold war in space and an arms race?

Militarisation is the result of divisiveness and not the other way around, look for the underlying reasoning (note careful avoidance of the word "reasons") for the push for space based weaponry.

Hey the last cold war was great for high technology research. We got a, um ... watchamacallit ... space program, out of it (among other things).

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:27 pm
Point being? The current situation on earth, as i see it. American biggest power, friends with practicly every nation except for North-Korea and a handfull of nations who harbour terrorists. There is absolutely no nation who can counter America if it would launch some sort of attack on the rest of the world. China is big and communist, but is not a hostile nation by definition. So what's the point in haveing military in space if there is no opponent? You're not gonne tell me it's for the terrorists. Blow 'm out with some icbm's or maybe drop the first hydrogen bomb. It's completely illogical. There is no need for any country to get so angry that it will somehow equal the US Military. Only China has the man power and economical power to do so. But even they managed to be(come) friends with the US.

So that leaves terrorists. Apart from spying, weapons in orbit are ridiculous for now. Imo. I hope someone with some brains in the US military agrees with me......

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:59 pm
Stefan wrote:
Point being? There is absolutely no nation who can counter America if it would launch some sort of attack on the rest of the world.

Eyow. That's mighty big talk ... but we'll let it pass ... Oh for God's sake, who am I kidding?

Tell me why North Korea can fearlessly thumb its nose at the whitehouse then? Why is there this obvious disparity between the nations invaded and the nations invited to peace talks? Etc, etc.

Quote:
Apart from spying, weapons in orbit are ridiculous for now.

Imagine being able to laser-zap your favorite third-world "terrorist state" from the comfort of an orbiting platform. Unfortunately, this sort of high ground is too much to pass up for any self-respecting military man worth the medals pinned to his chest.

If you make it cheaper for a USAF general to put bombs into orbit, than it is to keep bombers in the air, then he's going to do it. Talk about your nasty little side-effects for making space access affordable to all.

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:08 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Eyow. That's mighty big talk ... but we'll let it pass ... Oh for God's sake, who am I kidding?

Tell me why North Korea can fearlessly thumb its nose at the whitehouse then? Why is there this obvious disparity between the nations invaded and the nations invited to peace talks? Etc, etc.

Be serious. Is America that afraid for North Korea? I think Japan has more reason to worry. Let alone south-korea.

Quote:
Imagine being able to laser-zap your favorite third-world "enemy state" from the comfort of an orbiting platform.

True, but like i said _now_ it would be ridiculous since we dont have such a laser, let alone the energy required for such a laser. Beside, it would be genocide if you 'zap' a whole country.

Quote:
Unfortunately, this sort of high ground is too much to pass up for any self-respecting military man worth the medals pinned to his chest.

Quote:
If you make it cheaper for a USAF general to put bombs into orbit, than it is to keep bombers in the air, then he's going to do it. Talk about your nasty little side-effects for making space access affordable to all.
DKH

First line, true, i agree. Second line, i dont agree. I don't see anything the military did to make space access more affordable, or affordable at all. It won't be long until more people has scene the earth from the edge of space then those who ride the 'military' stuff.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:24 pm
Stefan wrote:
Be serious. Is America that afraid for North Korea? I think Japan has more reason to worry. Let alone south-korea.

You're not reading it properly. But hey that's ok ... however, yes I think the US is afraid of NK in the sense it cannot treat it as it treated Iraq. Else it would have already, no?

Quote:
Quote:
Imagine being able to laser-zap your favorite third-world "enemy state" from the comfort of an orbiting platform.

True, but like i said _now_ it would be ridiculous since we dont have such a laser, let alone the energy required for such a laser. Beside, it would be genocide if you 'zap' a whole country.

Well Stefan, that's right, no lasers yet ... but that wasn't the point. What was it that Andy said about "space weapons development"? Bombs however, we got already.

Quote:
Quote:
DKH

i dont agree. I don't see anything the military did to make space access more affordable, or affordable at all. It won't be long until more people has scene the earth from the edge of space then those who ride the 'military' stuff.

Again, just misreading is the problem here. I didn't say that the USAF or any other military force participated in making space access cheaper ... I just said that if it does get cheaper you can be sure as hell that the military boys are going to make the best use of it they possibly can.

Which is actually the worst use of it imaginable ... but there you go. Military intelligence is, after all, our favorite and most relevant oxymoron.

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:26 pm
Now i get it. Sorry for misreading and thanx for the explanation :)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:28 pm
Stefan wrote:
Now i get it. Sorry for misreading and thanx for the explanation :)

Hey, no problem Mr Sigwarth. :wink:

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:32 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Hey, no problem Mr Sigwarth. :wink:
DKH

Am i (thát) famous? Or do you know from racing or so?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:35 pm
Stefan wrote:
Am i (thát) famous? Or do you know from racing or so?

You are world famous baby, world famous. Just ask anybody here. We know you ... we know all about you.

He he ... naw that was just a lucky guess.

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:36 pm
Ssorry for getting offtopic Andy ;)

No serious, how do you know my name?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:40 pm
It's a well known secret that individuals cannot avoid using the letters of their own names with higher than normal frequency in spontaneously composed text. I merely calculated your letter usage against an averaged normal matrix and subtracted out what was left, then it was just a question of what made more sense than anything else.

Clever no?

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:42 pm
Clever yes, but highly improbably ;)

I'm gonna change the nick to my full name then...sigh.... ;)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:51 pm
Actually, what I REALLY did was simply go to my local Google temple and prostrate myself before the great god Inter-net and beg the answer to my question "who O lord is the simracing Stefan from Maastricht, he who curses me with unusual insight and difficult questions, that I might know him better and perhaps even surprise him just a little with an apparent although fallacious seeming of deeper knowledge?"

and since I had taken the trouble to sacrifice a virgin newbie earlier in the day the great one poured forth with all sorts of possibilites ... but only one had the email address that was yours.

Research. Not just for us boffins in the lab, eh?

DKH

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next