Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Getting to Space with People with Disabilities

Getting to Space with People with Disabilities

Posted by: JVanste - Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Getting to Space with People with Disabilities 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:32 pm
I have an idea for a way that people with disabilities can be very comfortable during launch. They can breathe nitrous oxide through their helmets.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:10 am
I think everyone would prefer that. However, it might inhibit their ability to do something to save their mission or lives if something goes wrong.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:46 am
It would be for people who are going to the space hotel for vacation.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:03 pm
Space doesn't care why you are going. It is still a dangerous environment. Everyone (even the tourists) need to be able to look after themselves. If someone needs to be sedated, they should not be going into space.

Besides, the launch is the exciting part. :lol:

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:11 pm
We won't be asleep, just more relaxed.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:03 pm
Then you would be better off asleep. An unconscious body is easier to deal with than one that is flailing around improperly.

Its not a good idea. Sorry.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm
I tried nitrous oxide at the dentist and it helped my uncontrolled movements. Are you on Facebook?

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Getting to Space with People with Disabilities   Posted on: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:11 am
No. facebook sucks.

The dentist is one thing, spaceflight is another. In the near-term, with something like suborbital tourist flights, or even in the mid-term where "2001-ish" spaceliner like flight, maybe it might help, since the passengers are largely passive. But it still isn't ideal. I was thinking "qualifying" for Soyuz or Dragon or any contemporary launch system, which is pretty challenging.