Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Life Extension / Immortality and Space Travel

Life Extension / Immortality and Space Travel

Posted by: whoa182 - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:05 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 236 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

When will we be able to achieve radical life extension
0-25 years 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
25-50 years 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
100+ years 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue May 10, 2005 9:35 pm
All:

TerraMrs wrote:
just curious dr. grey, of those "non-gerontologists", how many give you money to use on SENS research after visiting your site and being so impressed with the idea that they email you?

See the page on What you can do for SENS for a variety of ways to contribute to the SENS project as a non-scientist (monetarily and otherwise); see in particular, re: money, the Methuselah Mouse Prize ("MPrize") for accelerating anti-aging research and consider becoming a member of The Three Hundred anti-aging research commitment. If you are quite wealthy and prepared to make an extremely generous contribution, see the page on the proposal for a SENS Institute of Biomedical Gerontology.

-Michael

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 am
I think TerraMrs was asking for a number. Not spam.

DKH

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu May 12, 2005 5:38 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:

DKH

Well, not that it would have been terribly hard to follow the links Michael provided, but since we've seen problems with this in the past, allow me to do the work for you:

At the M Prize:
http://www.mprize.org/index.php?pagenam ... aildisplay
Here's the high level overview.
Total donated to the research cash prizes: $136,822.86
Total committed to the research prizes: $1,259,809.99
Expense contributions (for running, promoting the prize, etc.): $399,401.85

For more information, refer to the following pages:
http://www.mprize.org/index.php?pagename=donors
All donations on this page are applied towards the research prizes themselves:
215 donors, 117 of them from the USA, 24 from Canada, 14 from the UK, etc.
Top 10 donors gave the following amounts:
$25,152.30
$10,000.00
$10,000.00
$7,502.50
$5,000.00
$5,000.00
$3,900.00
$3,445.00
$2,924.94
$2,730.00

http://www.mprize.org/index.php?pagenam ... ntributors
Donations here are used towards foundation expenses, e.g. for promoting the prize:
8 donors
$129,000.00
$25,919.00
$10,000.00
$1,226.85
$250.00
$85.00
$50.00
$40.00
Total donated to expenses: $166,570.85
Roughly another $253,000 is pledged toward expenses.

http://www.mprize.org/index.php?pagenam ... undredlist
This is The Three Hundred that Michael mentioned. There are currently 48 individuals and organizations that have each committed to donate $25,000 in the coming 25 years.

And this is just the M Prize. This doesn't include any other projects that de Grey might be working on.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu May 12, 2005 6:29 pm
DaemanUhr wrote:
Dr_Keith_H wrote:

DKH

Well, not that it would have been terribly hard to follow the links Michael provided, but since we've seen problems with this in the past, allow me to do the work for you:

heh why thank you, that's exactly the kind of figures i was interested in. actually though i did know about the three hundred, i was more asking about research funding, specifically for SENS related research not M-Prize. though i guess it's arguable that they're one and the same for all rights and purposes so far....

EDIT: perhaps a little bit of clarification is in order. i'm not asking about the prize itself, i'm asking about specific projects related to the nitty-gritty of SENS, not the broad prize designed to promote everything. kind of like how x-prize was for $10M but generated far more than that in development money.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 16, 2005 9:42 am
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
So science is not the dull grey-faced voice of toneless reason after all, eh?

Instead, we're a brawling mob of street-fighting bastards at heart. That does sound about right.

DKH

A crass, rude individual is still a crass, rude individual irrespective of how many funny letters after their name or how many publications they have found themselves in. Such people obviously are lacking in fundamental and essential communications skills and probably have not evolved much further than their school bullying days. Thankfully I have personally not come across such individuals in realspace.

Michael: thank you for your excellent response. Do you mind if we continue this at Imminst?

Post    Posted on: Mon May 16, 2005 1:38 pm
prometheus,

please stay away from posting such comments as answer to Dr_Keith_H - he simply described a vision that cam up to him while reading posts of mine I adressed to YOU. I suppose that that is behind that post you are responding too and I enjoy if someone does so: it simply is satire or caricature.

I informed you about fact s and anekdotes about scientists and philosophers acting to each other like Dr_Keith_h has been acting in this thread to show you that he may have acting like that because of being really and seriously being annoyed - annoyed about wrong or largely misunderstandable informations gievn to the public here. To regard the informations as wrong or misunderstandable may be subjective but Dr_Keith_H explicitly posted the reasons for "wrong" or "misunderstanding" and enabled an objective discussion this way. And to objective arguments he didn't respond annoyingly no way.

I am myself used to experience that mostly arguments do have nearly no impoact or effect if no anger is expressed about informations which are wrong or misunderstanding - without expressing anger people tend to follow wrong informations and lead other people into failures and catstrophies: governments for example or some managers.

Bertrand Russel is reported to have threatened Ludwig von Wittgenstein by a stove hook.
A professor of mine attacked another professor announced to be the chairmen of the Experts' Council for Analysiis of Economic Evolution by scientific argument and expression of huger anger - and he did it publically and for scientific reasons.
Karl Marx polemicised against others in the three volumes of the "Das Kapital" ("Capital").
Schopenhauer tried to do harm to his colleage philospher Hegel by chossing the same date and time for his lessons Hegel choosed - and Schopenhauer failed by doing so.

It will be possible to enlarge this list I suppose - please look at Dr_Keith_H's post in this thread under the aspects of these informations and try to understand him this way, concentrate on his scientific argumanets and keep them in memory.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon May 16, 2005 4:57 pm
Dr_Keith_H responded to posts without even looking at the resources he was given and he thought he had the right to declare the ideas as misinformed and lies. Then he says he not even interested anyway.. so why bother joining the discussion in this thread?

Dr Keith has the worst attitude I have ever seen in any forum. He clearly displays ignorance in his posts, bad attitude and no respect for others.

Post    Posted on: Tue May 17, 2005 6:45 am
Hello, whoa182,

Dr_Keith_H explained to Dr. de Grey the reasons of his posts - without the attitude you are criticising.

Dr. de Grey is right in saying that you are talking to all of the public here - to all posters as well as to all readers.

But Dr_Keith_H is talking to all poster/readers too here and to prometheus only, to you only or to me only.

Dr_Keith_H explicitly has clarified that he had recognized the necessity to clarify some scientific facts. To recognize that it is not required to look into the ressources - it is sufficient to see lack of scientific caution, doubt etc. You yourself mustn't blamed for such a lack - but the look of the public must be directed to that lack to make the public take care and be cautious.

Otherwise it may be that objectively unjustified hopes or harmful lack of caution is caused in the public - this may do harm to science and to Dr_Keith_H's science. And it may do harm to the MPrize and to Dr. de Greys projects too.

Please look at it this way - Dr_Keith_H's attitude etc. may be meant not to do harm to the MPrize etc. but to stimulate caution and necessary doubts. This is a responsibility most scientists feel and have - and scientific educated people too.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue May 17, 2005 7:56 am
whoa182 wrote:
Dr_Keith_H responded to posts without even looking at the resources he was given and he thought he had the right to declare the ideas as misinformed and lies. Then he says he not even interested anyway.. so why bother joining the discussion in this thread?

Dr Keith has the worst attitude I have ever seen in any forum. He clearly displays ignorance in his posts, bad attitude and no respect for others.

You are still quite young and your inexperience shines through very clearly, Matthew Lake. You will certainly meet worse than me in real life, and if you are lucky they will ignore you. If you ever get into science you will find it a world of constant struggle inhabited successfully by people who have minds like knives and little patience for those with minds like butter.

Good luck getting your first thousand bucks together for the Mprize.

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 12:35 pm
Quote:
If you ever get into science you will find it a world of constant struggle inhabited successfully by people who have minds like knives and little patience for those with minds like butter.

Funny that. Just thinking about all those buttery minds that sit and churn in the university lecture theatres listening to minds of cheese...

You make it sound like it's a jungle out there of maniacal, pipette wielding, labcoat garbed, bespectacled gladiators. Actually, it sounds more like the business world Keith. Where I come from we are all about good manners and sincere respect for scholars irrespective of their academic level. Patience is abundant for sincere inquiries.

I don't know what academic institution spawned your razor mind Keith, but it must not have been a pleasant experience for you to be so dry, sarcastic and cynical. Does it give you some sense of superiority knocking this kid down and describing him in this way?

Furthermore, did he give you permission to to disclose his full name? Would you like to tell us your full name and the name of the institute you are affiliated with?

This is not behaviour befitting someone of your supposed standing. Shame on you.

I don't know what sort of trance you have over these people, particularly Ekkehard - who is running to the rescue of your honour as best as his grasp of English allows, but it is discraceful.

Ekkehard: I appreciate a clever witticism as much as anyone. Keith's tone though is deliberately, invariably and baselessly polemic. There is nothing charming or clever about his posts since they amount to not much more than thinly veiled insults. I suggest you read over them - all of them - once more.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 1:19 pm
Why are you still here Harold Brenner? Got an itch you can't scratch?

You got something to complain about to me then us a PM. Don't be bothering the nice folks here.

Unless you like posturing your holier-than-thou attitude all over the place, then by all means continue. But the moderators enjoy that sort of thing even less than I do.

Egad's man, get a life. Get something anyway. Out, for example.

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 pm
Running low on the prozac are we?

So who are you really Keith?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 1:45 pm
prometheus wrote:
So who are you really Keith?

Plenty of information right here on Xprize for people to find out. But I guess "research" isn't your strong point.

DKH

(would you prefer if I went back to calling you promdress?)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 1:57 pm
Wow - you've got my name - you're quite the researcher. Call me whatever makes you most comfortable Keith, I would not want to contribute to any neurosis by suggesting you behave in a remotely civil fashion ;)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:01 pm
Can you remind me why you're here promdress? I thought this thread was dead. Aubrey and I had our talk and came to an understanding long ago.

What's the matter with you? Too much olive in your feta?

DKH

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next