Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Life Extension / Immortality and Space Travel

Life Extension / Immortality and Space Travel

Posted by: whoa182 - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:05 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 236 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

When will we be able to achieve radical life extension
0-25 years 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
25-50 years 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
100+ years 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:36 pm
No chance promdress ... remember that thing about "respect"?

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:41 pm
Quote:
You wear a dress?

Sharp as a tac and wily as a willow..

No you incorrigible ass I don't wear a dress! I would likely be bashed by my girlfriend and front stomp kicked by my 10 year old Karateka daughter. But I dress for success - and the gold in a two-tone Submariner always looks great with a suit.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:49 pm
Quote:
remember that thing about "respect"?

Suit yourself. Can't say I did not try. You are determined to wallow in your puddle of arrogant decreptitude. Look out for a Greek sporting a brand new Rolex one of these days knocking on your door. If you don't buy me lunch you'll piss me off - and then we don some gloves and its off to the nearest boxing ring we go - I kid you not, you arrogant shyster!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:49 pm
So all that automatic respect you painstakingly instill in your daughter doesn't apply if unfamiliar fashion sense enters the room.

Appearances are everything eh? It appears that you have descended to threats of violence too ... :lol:

DKH

(psst ... its "decrepitude")

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:54 pm
Quote:
So all that automatic respect you painstakingly instill in your daughter doesn't apply if unfamiliar fashion sense enters the room.

I also trained her to kick me, or anyone else - hard - if she thinks they're out of line ;) . I must depart, friends have arrived and I am famished. Goodbye.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon May 23, 2005 2:56 pm
Watch that door.

DKH

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:50 am
Just thought I could mention that the bidding to get to have Lunch with DR Ray Kurzweil has now started here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5592464719

So far imminst.org are leading the bid at $1,011.00

Quote:
Join inventor, author, life-extension visionary and futurist for the unforgettable lunch of a lifetime! Dr. Ray Kurzweil, recipient of the U.S. National Medal of Technology and author of numerous books including "Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough To Live Forever" (co-authored with longevity expert Terry Grossman, M.D.) and "The Age of Spiritual Machines," will host the highest bidder at a delicious luncheon that will be prepared by Methuselah Foundation volunteers in accordance with the guidelines set forth in "Fantastic Voyage."

Dr. Kurzweil is a long term supporter of the Mprize, a research prize modeled on the X Prize, which Kurzweil described as, "a powerful vehicle for mobilizing the scientific community to eliminate the degeneration associated with aging." All proceeds from the auction will go directly into the Mprize fund. In addition, all donors who join The Three Hundred, the Mprize's committed giving program in which contributors pledge $1000 per year for the next 25 years, during the auction period will receive autographed copies of "Fantastic Voyage."

Questions? Email Methuselah Foundation volunteer April at april(at)mprize(dot)org.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:10 pm
Hrm. After back-reading some of this thread, I now fully recall why I abandoned it in the first place. That conversation between prometheus and Dr_Keith_H without doubt holds the record for the longest continuous string of posts between two people made in the shortest amount of time.

And if anybody messes with the Mods again (and they decide not to ban you), I will personally be more than happy to locate and do very very nasty things to their computer.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:06 pm
It's a shame that this didn't turn out to be a very friendly discussion like the one over at space.com

people were far more interested, grown up and polite and could see the benifits and link it has with space exploration.

Peter Diamandis can see the point in Life extension http://www.mprize.org/index.php?pagenam ... undredlist

"We've seen how prizes such as the X PRIZE and the Methuselah Mouse Prize can dramatically increase competition and innovation, and create interest for the public. With this contribution, we're signaling our belief that Prizes can not only take us into space, but help bring about breakthroughs in the way we live and age."

-Peter Diamandis
Founder, The X PRIZE Foundation

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post A $1,000,000 Mystery Donation in the Fight to Cure Aging   Posted on: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:11 pm
Just a quick update on the MPRIZE progress...
The past few months have been really good :)

A $1,000,000 Mystery Donation in the Fight to Cure Aging

Anonymous Benefactor Contributes to Methuselah Mouse Prize

NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 11/09/2005 -- Entrepreneur Dave Gobel has experienced a good number of pleasant surprises over the past two and a half years since he co-founded the Methuselah Mouse Prize, or Mprize, for anti-aging research. None more so than when he opened an unassuming envelope in the morning mail to find himself eye to eye with a cashier's check for $1,000,000 -- a sum that would triple the funds then in the Methuselah Foundation account, and raise the total in pledges from nearly $2 million to nearly $3 million.

"I was quite flabbergasted over my morning toast," said Gobel. "The Mprize receives a steady stream of modest donations by mail, but this came completely out of the blue. No one had approached us to talk about a large donation -- frankly I had a hard time believing it was real, despite our successes to date, and despite holding it in my hands!"

The Mprize is a research prize modeled after the successful and influential Ansari X Prize. Prizes are awarded to scientists who succeed in extending the healthy life span of mice, or -- perhaps more importantly -- discovering a better method of rejuvenation for already aged mice while repairing the ravages of time and leading to longer, healthier lives. This is just a means to an end, however -- the Mprize aims to invigorate not just mice, but also the forlorn state of scientific anti-aging research.

"Until recently the science of aging had not progressed far enough to let us design plausible interventions, but in the past five to ten years it has reached that point," said Aubrey de Grey, co-founder and Chairman of the Methuselah Foundation. "There really is no excuse for the current lack of progress towards effective therapies for the cellular damage of aging -- we know more than enough to be moving forward with large-scale projects, if the funding was just there. Degenerative aging is barbaric, a horror that leads to the deaths of more than 100,000 people each and every day. It shouldn't be allowed."

"The biochemistry of aging is really no more difficult or mysterious than the biochemistry of cancer -- and we as a society have shown great dedication to the eradication of cancer. It is time to do the same for aging," said Kevin Perrott, Executive Director of the Methuselah Foundation. "This generous donation will inspire many more millions of dollars in research funding in the years ahead, as it encourages scientists to make faster progress towards curing the ills of aging. Old age could be a wonderful thing if we could just prevent the accompanying suffering and loss of health."

About the Methuselah Mouse Prize:

The Methuselah Mouse Prize (Mprize) is the premiere effort of the Methuselah Foundation and is being offered to the scientific research team who develops the longest living Mus musculus, the breed of mouse most commonly used in scientific research. Developing interventions which work in mice are a critical precursor to the development of human anti-aging techniques, for once it is demonstrated that aging in mice can be effectively delayed or reversed, popular attitudes towards aging as 'inevitable' will no longer be possible. When aging in mice is shown to be 'treatable' the funding necessary for a full-line assault on the aging process will be made available. This is the true power of the Methuselah Mouse Prize, to demonstrate a proof of principle, and give hope to the world that decline in function and age-related disease are no longer guarantees, for us, or for future generations, if we work together now. For more information, please visit: http://www.methuselahmouse.org/

http://www.mprize.org - The Methuselah Mouse Prize

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/

Stratagies for Engineered Negligible Senescence

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 pm
Topic locked, reason: spam.

Latest reply is not related to any space exploration.
I'm sure the other forums you use, and I know you do, cause I visted them as well, are perfectly fit for this kind of posts.

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16