Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find

Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find

Posted by: ghostrunner2k - Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm
Hello fellow astronomy fans.

We are starting a new online project: "Objective Europa".

Objective Europa is a crowd researched project, that aims to send human beings to Jupiter’s moon Europa.
It will be on a one way mission in search of extraterrestrial life while expanding the borders of exploration and knowledge for all mankind.
The starting point of Objective Europa is purely theoretical, but will move into more advanced phases including prototyping, technology try-outs, and eventually a crewed launch.
Our website (http://www.objective-europa.com/info/ ) isn't fully online yet, but we are working hard at it.

If you think this sounds interesting you can see more info on one of the links bellow:

Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn

If you want to help the project, or have any questions, you can contact us on the links above.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:03 pm
That is a very long trip...

You might have more success (and be taken seriously) if you lower your goal to that of sending a micro sat/bot to Europa, which is actually within the practical reach of a private effort.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:37 pm
It's a very long trip indeed :shock:

This is a longterm research project.
Many are talking about sending probes to other planets.
Some are even now talking about sending humans to Mars.

We want to find out if it's in anyway possible to send humans to Europa.

Our first obstacle is to convince people that we are not crazy. (We aren't :D )

This is quite serious.

Do you believe this to be completely impossible ?

Rasmus

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 pm
In the near, or even medium term (20-50 yrs)? Yes, totally impossible barring the extraordinary (aliens setting up a used spaceship dealership on Earth, etc).

National governments and even international consortium can't summon the resources to get to the nearby Moon in less than the above time frame. A manned mission to Mars is still in the wishful thinking stages. We have no idea of how to really get people across deep space, much less way WAY out to the Jovian system.

Sorry dude, your aim is admirably high, but completely unrealistic. You can ponder the technical problems and solutions, but you might as well be writing science fiction.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm
Note that this project was founded by amongst others Kristian von Bengtson of Copenhagen Suborbitals. He already has a near-term achievable goal that they're successfully working towards. As I understand it, the main aim is to encourage people to get interested in space flight, and to get an idea of what would be needed for such a mission. I don't think they're really expecting to go, at least not in the way that they're expecting to launch a human into suborbital space with Copenhagen Suborbitals. I'd say that that is a worthy enough goal.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 pm
We know that we wont send humans to Europa anytime soon.

@Lourens: You are correct. For now we just want to start a debate on how it could become possible.

By the wary I was out at Copenhagen Suborbitals this weekend. Their next rocket is quite big :D

Rasmus

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 pm
Solve the < $100 lb. to LEO problem first and then everything is possible.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 pm
50 years is a long time frame. 50 years ago we'd only had manned orbital capability for a few years. Having a Martian colony and mature Lunar infrastructure within 30 years doesn't seem unrealistic, given the current levels of interest (i.e. billionaires who want to Make It So). That leaves us with 20 years to set up the mission and launch it, and if most of it is already planned...

If I had a billion dollars to spend, though, I'd spend it on Polywell fusion and a reusable TSTO system. In fact, that would probably leave me with half of the money left...

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:41 pm
I would use a snapped torrid collider fusor,

two "Rolling Plasma doughnuts" collide at high speed.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Going to Jupiters moon - Europa. Lets work together to find   Posted on: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:46 pm
Terraformer wrote:
50 years is a long time frame. 50 years ago we'd only had manned orbital capability for a few years. Having a Martian colony and mature Lunar infrastructure within 30 years doesn't seem unrealistic, given the current levels of interest (i.e. billionaires who want to Make It So). That leaves us with 20 years to set up the mission and launch it, and if most of it is already planned...

If I had a billion dollars to spend, though, I'd spend it on Polywell fusion and a reusable TSTO system. In fact, that would probably leave me with half of the money left...

50 years is a long time... And maybe it takes longer before we can do it. But someone has to start thinking the "extreme" ideas... :)