Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > What does space look like ..........from space!

What does space look like ..........from space!

Posted by: zincfinger - Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
What does space look like ..........from space! 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post What does space look like ..........from space!   Posted on: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 am
When I get out of the city and away from the light pollution, I'm always amazed by the night sky. I try to imagine how incredible the milky way would look like for an astronaut. Not much in the way of photos of this although I know its a tricky shot.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: What does space look like ..........from space!   Posted on: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm
Space is an environment of extremes. The sun and sunlight overwhelms the relatively faint visible starlight. And since most space photographs are of something, a spacecraft or other solar object, the exposure/sensitivity is not long enough to see the background stars. That is why it looks inky black.

But from shadow/ night side or otherwise shielded from sunlight, yeah, you can see the stars. However by the unaided human eye, space from space doesn't look all that much different than from Earth on a clear dark night. A little brighter and sharper, but you don't see all that much more. Or so I've read. :|

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: What does space look like ..........from space!   Posted on: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 pm
Space exploration and science fiction....your views

Hi I'm trying to do some research for a thesis I'm writing about the connection between science fiction and space exploration and on what level the general public should be able to contribute to the focus of space exploration.... I would be very grateful if someone would take a moment out of their tea break to help me out... it is short...5mins max depending on how you like to answer questions!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BN7JB9L

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: What does space look like ..........from space!   Posted on: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 am
When I was growing up my Grandparents had a farm in Marshall County, Minnesota, about an hour drive from anywhere. On a dry winter night the atmosphere above their farm seemed to collapse down to treetop level. It was so cold and dark and clear that you almost believed you could reach up and run your fingers through the Milky Way. I imagine it was not much different than stargazing from the ISS on the night side of the Earth. Then again, I've never been...

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: What does space look like ..........from space!   Posted on: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 am
It would make no difference to me since I'd probably forget my glasses like I usually do