Colonizing Venus

Posted by: jrpalmer - Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm
 [ 97 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Colonizing Venus 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:14 pm
I think Venus could be our only resort after sun starts gradually to cool down.

http://solar-flight.60934.x6.nabble.com/

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 pm
topspeed wrote:
I think Venus could be our only resort after sun starts gradually to cool down.

No IIRC its is highly likely that as our Sun expands into its Red giant phase it will encompass Mercury and Venus and again IIRC I think its borderline if the Earth would survive unless Humanity gets to the level of being able to move it. It would be later that it starts to cool down(cool being a confusing term here as they would be less of it fusing there would be less over all heat but the small white dwarf would be emitting light in a hotter spectrum) to being a white dwarf after it had thrown a planetary nebula at all our solar systems planets. All this activity may cause cause gravitational instabilities that cause the planets to swap places and or hit the Sun or be thrown out of the solar system altogether. We as a species are lucky to have evolved at a relativity stable period in the solar systems history. Then again if we had evolved in an unstable period we would probably be more like Hitchhiker's Haggunenons than Humans. :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 am
Are you saying we should first move to Mars and after hot period to Venus ? If it is still there ?

http://solar-flight.60934.x6.nabble.com/

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:13 pm
He's saying it won't matter.

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:13 am
The sun wont change significantly for lets say a 5.4 billion years (number I got from Wikipedia please feel free to correct me) so I don't think we need to worry about that.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 pm
jrpalmer wrote:
The sun wont change significantly for lets say a 5.4 billion years (number I got from Wikipedia please feel free to correct me) so I don't think we need to worry about that.

IIRC there is still a fair amount of argument on how soon the various peaks will be but broad agreement on the sequence the link below has some info on suns evolution.

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~i ... ution.html

And it seems to say that our Sun has increased in brightness by about 30% since the suns birth and it will have another 67% increase over the next 4.8 billion years and its during the following 1.8 billion is when the Earth become a crispy bare rock.

So unless humans develop really radical life extension I suspect it does not matter either way in the grand scheme of things. But unless the builders are really late on delivery :wink: :twisted: we should have time to Terra-form and use both for some time before our Sun wrecks the whole neighbourhood in its teenage years before settling into the middle age flab of being a proper Red giant and shrinking down to white dwarf senility after its Helium flash mid-life crisis.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Colonizing Venus   Posted on: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm
Cloud cities in the upper atmosphere could be doable - might even prove relatively attractive compared to Mars, since you get reasonable temperature and pressure at those altitudes, although you'd still need oxygen and protection from the acidic vapors. They're also high enough that you get full sunlight for solar power, while still having enough atmosphere above that you're somewhat protected from the more intense radiation. That also gives protection from micrometeorites, which will be a problem on Mars.

The gravity is also highly attractive, not only because it's close to Earth, but because it's 10% less, which actually gives a lot more than 10% advantage in getting back up into space from your cloud city.

Additionally, the launch windows between Earth and Venus happen a lot more frequently than between Earth and Mars, allowing for a stronger economic connection.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7