Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Asteroid Mining Startups

Asteroid Mining Startups

Posted by: box - Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 am
 [ 44 posts ] 
Asteroid Mining Startups 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 am
Off-topic, but Microsoft have significantly improved their security track record in the past decade or so, to the point that Internet Explorer is as secure as other browsers for example. If you're looking for an example of lousy security, the current top-3 attack vectors on desktop computers are plug-ins: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash, and Oracle Java.

As for the implants, I'd imagine they'd run some OS that has actually been certified for use in medical devices, like QNX. Although I'd prefer free software too :-). And if Linux is good enough for running a human-rated Falcon 9...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:04 am
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3FzB0bQnA

The first talker describes an asteroid miner ship.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm
You posted the link to the mobile site. Here is the regular Utube "channel":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=ig3FzB0bQnA&nomobile=1

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 pm
JamesG wrote:
You posted the link to the mobile site. Here is the regular Utube "channel":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=ig3FzB0bQnA&nomobile=1

Darn :D thanks. I was at work. :)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Tue May 21, 2013 6:39 am
I see them more as research test-beds for the concepts, and techniques we'd need to develop. It'll take decades, I mean it almost took one to get 3 guys to the moon, 1.5 light seconds away, and the closest asteroids are Minutes away At the Speed of Light.

I want to see private funded robotic probes, samples brought back, and all without government subsidies long before we even start talking about proposals to bring them back in large scale. Those are the Data we'll need to even guestimate the feasability, and draw up a realistic time-frame.

Gold is just shiny lead. We like it, and therefore it's valuable. Platinum, Titanium, Cadmium, these are far, and away more intrinsically valuable for their usefulness. Get the dollar signs out of your eyes before you look at something like this. Dreaming about profits before you can say it can be done with any surety is a pie in the sky. Doesn't stop people from investing in them, though.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 am
Psiberzerker wrote:
Doesn't stop people from investing in them, though.

Which is the important part. You have to sell the vision and the (exaggerated) potential in something that has no track record and precedence.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 1:49 pm
JamesG wrote:
Which is the important part. You have to sell the vision and the (exaggerated) potential in something that has no track record and precedence.
Well, you don't have to, but people have a funny way of throwing money at stuff they don't understand because it's cool, or it looks that profitable. It potentially is, but we don't know without doing the research. I KNOW that the way to go is going to be at least scouting with robotic probes first, and my guess is that the first generation of those are going to be NASA/University projects, because they have the experience making, and using stuff likeat. Not just the individual experience of students, and ex-rocket scientists, but the collective, and administrative experience, not to mention access to Launch Facilities, tracking telescopes, interplanetary range communications...

Keep in mind, this is just the Prospecting stage, I haven't even started talking about bringing them back for profit (In this thread) yet. Just like University, if you don't do your research, and lab-work, you're doomed to fail.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 2:08 pm
Psiberzerker wrote:
Well, you don't have to...

No, you really do.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu May 23, 2013 5:01 pm
JamesG wrote:
Psiberzerker wrote:
Well, you don't have to...

No, you really do.

With the current socio-economic system we're running, it's built in, but it doesn't Have to be done that way. We're just conservative when it comes to the mutual back scratching, wheel greasing, and ass grabbing because of all the potential profit for the little middle men that our system is set up for. Theoretically, if you have enough of an independent fortune amassed to fund such a project autonomously, you could cut out all the logistic parasites, and cut to the chase. This means taking all the risks yourself (Or selves, even Burt Rutan can't pull something like this off single handedly) but if you succeed, you don't have to share the profits, except in house...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 pm
So who here is going to be watching the Planetary Resources announcement tomorrow? Or are you guys all also busy with life?

I would love to watch, but going to be at work.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm
I doubt they'll launch anything into space tomorrow, so it'll just be an announcement of a multi-year plan. I can wait a few hours to read about it later...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 pm
Anything interesting? I was busy...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:13 am
JamesG wrote:
Anything interesting? I was busy...

Apart from a kickstarter campaign launch, no.

Although they seem to be planning to do other things with the crowd later, but I don't know what. Maybe more kickstarters, or maybe things like opensource design competitions etc... Just some of Peter Diamandis's comments on some of his videos seems to have hinted at it.

I find this project extremely interesting because it will show how many people out there are interested enough in space to fork out money for hardware they could use. And it seems a large number of the funding isn't coming from people wanting space selfies. :)

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 am
They made their goal today. So it seems partial crowd funding of small scale space hardware is feasible if there is enough publicity, and the perks meet what people actually want.

Profile WWW