Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > We now need a new Space station what about this one?

We now need a new Space station what about this one?

Posted by: spacestation - Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am
 [ 10 posts ] 
We now need a new Space station what about this one? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 am
As we are getting closer to travelling across space thanks to the developments of NASA and Mr Branson we should start thinking about where people are going to live, work, explore. Some scientists will want to spend a lot of time on planets and moons and so why not create a space station. One with class and style just like the onefrom the old tv series Unicorn Four. See the clip below for the best space station yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqahotyI0M

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:00 am
Well, we do already have the international space station (ISS), and Bigelow are developing inflatable habitats. Worthwhile looking both those up.

As for Bransen - Virgin Galactic doesn't get people high enough and fast enough to require a space station, they are suborbital only.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am
Space stations are very expensive, and there already exists one. I don't think the ISS has able to justify its $100 billion price tag, so what would justify another space station?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:19 pm
quanthasaquality wrote:
[...] so what would justify another space station?

Accessibility for others entities (nations/corporations/etc) than the ISS-partners?

Profile ICQ
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 am
quanthasaquality wrote:
Space stations are very expensive, and there already exists one. I don't think the ISS has able to justify its $100 billion price tag, so what would justify another space station?

Part of the business plan for Bigelow Aerospace is to make spacestations much cheaper and space more accessible.

I think that is more than enough justification, also these stations will not be payed by the taxpayers but by the people who want to lease them!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm

And I thought Dr. Who was weird (in a good way)... The British really should not be allowed to make science fiction.

Anyway...

The Chinese have started their own station and the Russians have plans to create a commercial one (with Bigalow modules). I don't think any of them will be as mod as Unicorn 4 though.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:22 pm
I could make a better SciFi series...

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:43 am
Wow they spend 15 years to build the ISS and now that it is completed, it is obsolete and we need a new one?

"What matters is not the destination, but the Odyssey!"

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:55 pm
Gygantar wrote:
Wow they spend 15 years to build the ISS and now that it is completed, it is obsolete and we need a new one?

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/sls1.html, Go here, is this what all of you are talking about?
To me, it sounds pretty cool. I mean, NASA is now talking about exploring Mars and other planets, in a safer machine. The only problem, I think, is getting the ISS down back on Earth.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: We now need a new Space station what about this one?   Posted on: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:57 pm
Gotta keep that legion of folks involved in the ISS gainfully employed ya know.

The ISS was as much a jobs program for aerospace engineers, workers, managers, and associated other hangers on as it was the end goal of a manned orbital laboratory.