Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)

LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)

Posted by: Mr. Harper - Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope) 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 am
So here's my idea, and I'm wondering if it would be feasible. The final space telescope would actually consist of 25, or more telescopes, flying in formation, orbiting the moon. First off, I think it would make sense because it's easier to launch a lot of smaller, tougher telescopes, than on large, extremely expensive one. Second, it would orbit the moon to escape space junk, other satellites, interference and the light from Earth. To avoid the light of the moon, it would charge batteries, while the formation is exposed to the sun, and take pictures and observe stuff while on over the dark side of the moon. Now lets say you want to add, just send another up, or lets say there's been a natural disaster, you could borrow one to observe the damage without hindering the actual operation, just by moving one of these units into Earth orbit. Lets say one takes damage, there are more to cover it until there is a replacement. You could send one across the solar system or further out to gain a kind of stereoscopic vision of a phenomenon or object. Please tell me what you think, or any suggestions.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 am
Look up : Lagrange Points - better places for stationing telescopes. Also, look up Optical Interferometry, for using multiple telescopes to gain better imaging.

There are problems with multiple telescopes - communications for one, along with propulsion and station keeping, but there are benefits as well.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:11 pm
I was going for more of a swarm idea, multiple space telescope look at one thing, and the combine the best images, or some get taken out, so? You have more, but thanks for the info!

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 am
What would you be wanting to study or look for with this telescope formation?

"Darwin" was a proposed ESA mission to hunt for exoplanets. It was to made of up nine telescopes flying in formation.

I think they abandonded it, however, when they realised the spacecraft would be need maintained at distances from each other with nanometer precision.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:52 pm
There is a Dutch University, Delft I think it was, that is working on a very similar project of a constellation of micro sats in lunar orbit that would create a large interferometry radio telescope. You might want to contact them if you would like some information on their work.

The problem with anything orbiting the moon is that its gravity is very "lumpy" and it disturbs orbits over time. So your flotilla of telescopes would have to constantly maneuver to remain in formation. Not very practical. This wasn't a problem for the radio telescope project because it could tolerate a loose formation and the duration of the observation/life span of the sats were short enough.

Putting the optical telescope ON the Lunar surface is IMO the best bet. It gives you a stable platform (mostly), predictable observation windows without needing orientation/stabilization gear and fuel, and because its in effective vaccum, you can still do work during the lunar day.

BTW- "LOST" is a very unfortunate name for just about anything, and especially for expensive spacecraft. :wink:

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:56 pm
Yeah, I think it would just be a multi use fleet so they can do many things at the same time. Also, I happen to be Dutch, and my mom was talking about something similar, which gave me inspiration. But why not fly multiple satellite telescopes up and physically link them, cheaper to get up, and easier, and then you link them and turn it on!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm
BTW LOST was on purpose. My buddy who is an engineering student also came up with an unfortunately dirty acronym by accident. It was Combined Unit Nevada Telescope. Something like that.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: LOST (Large Optical Space Telescope)   Posted on: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 am
Envy the (real) Commander of United Nations Taskforce....