Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Hi my name is josh....

Hi my name is josh....

Posted by: josh101 - Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Hi my name is josh.... 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Hi my name is josh....   Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 am
Hi everyone my name is josh and Im new to the forums here. Ive always been interested in space travel . I think its cool that we will be on mars by 2035. wow I be 45 then. So much for going to mars lol. At 19 Im already to old wow. That sucks. Oh well. Im going to take the asvab for the navy next week. I hope I can pass it be cool to be in the navy. I will try to be an active member here. Great to be with so many space people like me lol. My favorite planet is Neptune. I dont have a favorite exoplanet yet but plan to get one.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Hi my name is josh....   Posted on: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am
Okay...

Well, if you're not a spammer, welcome to the forums. You sound quite pessemistic, though... Mars by 2035? You think that's a good thing that it will take that long?

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Hi my name is josh....   Posted on: Sun May 02, 2010 11:00 am
Mars by 2035 sounds about reasonable to me. I'd like to see it happen sooner, but having been waiting over 20 years already I'm not holding my breath any more.

Why though, Josh, do you imply that 45 is too old? I think that'd be a fair age for the first set of Marswalkers.

Neil Armstrong was just two weeks shy of 40 when he landed on the moon. The oldest astronaut in space was John Glenn who was 77 when he flew on STS-95.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Hi my name is josh....   Posted on: Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 am
Hey Josh!

Nice to see another young one online here! (I'm 18).

I had the opportunity to meet Buzz Aldrin when I was 6 or 7, and when I told him that I wanted to be an astronaut he said that by 2020, i would be just the right age to be one of the first people to walk on Mars. Who knows if we'll have humans there by then, It's just a neat story i have :)

I'm actually attending a university next year within the US Air Force ROTC program, which after I graduate I'll commission as an officer in the USAF.
Neat to see that you're interested in the military as well!

And welcome to the forums! :D

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Hi my name is josh....   Posted on: Fri May 14, 2010 8:39 pm
Hi Josh,

At 19 by 2035, if you work hard, you could very well be an important part of a manned Mars mission, if not one of the people actually going.

Regardless of your ASVAB scores, you will have many opportunities to begin your journey if you truly want to make space your career. Going into avionics/electronics technician, nuclear engineering, or even as a machinist's mate, you will be a great way of building some practical experience and prepare you for your future.

Take maximum advantage of your Navy education benefits, both the GI Bill and any correspondence courses or online college you can take while in the service.

Do not sign anything the recruiter first gives you. He/she is representing the Government's interests, not yours. Play "hard to get". Take what they offer and go think about it and consider it with what you want to do before committing to anything. If possible have someone you trust who has been in the service (preferably Navy) be with you or at least review the offers. Research online what benefits and incentives are offered for your field. Your recruiter may not know or care about them.

Good luck,