Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > TREKKIE FAN MUST PROTEST TO PRODUCE MORE STAR TREK

TREKKIE FAN MUST PROTEST TO PRODUCE MORE STAR TREK

Posted by: Splinter - Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:22 am
 [ 14 posts ] 
TREKKIE FAN MUST PROTEST TO PRODUCE MORE STAR TREK 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post TREKKIE FAN MUST PROTEST TO PRODUCE MORE STAR TREK   Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:22 am
if no one is fan of star trek. Star Trek company will go out of business and that means no more. ERA

Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:46 am
What are the reasons according to the producers of Star Trek?

May be its lack of financial ressources - may be too its lack of ideas.

In the second case lets try to get ideas out of the XPRIZE competitions, teams, ASP and so on, out of the ideas discussed here and the like.

And perhaps at the coming XPRIZE events something could be done to keep Star Trek continued. Please look for ideas.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

PS: Protests alone won't have any effects.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:11 pm
Not sure what this has to do with the X-Prize, but anyway..

If letting Trek die means getting crap like Enterprise off the air, then I'm all for it. Trek needs a break anyway.

The new version of Battlestar Galactica got picked up for a second season, and it's far superior to anything I've seen from Trek since they cancelled DS9. I'm all set for a sci-fi show to watch for at least 20 more episodes now. *grin*

They're also working on a Babylon 5 movie, but that might be ruined by talk of using all new cast for the roles.

Then there's always that last lil' prequel movie on the horizon, with the heavy-breather in the black costume.. but generally I refuse to watch the Star Wars prequels.

In other words, life isn't over when Trek goes on break. There will be other things to watch, other things to do, while Trek rests awhile. Hopefully by the time Trek comes back they'll have canned B&B and brought in someone like JMS who knows what he's doing.

EDIT: Nevermind, it did get moved to the Cafe.. :D

Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:40 pm
Yes - it has been moved since my answer earlier this day.

But there indirect relations to the XPRIZE at least: Gene Roddenberries son is member of the board of trustees or another gremium of the Foundation, Star Trek causes dreams of travels through space and triggers interest, Star Trek provides ideas (as I said in another thread last year) and Star Trek could provide advertisaemnet effects for the XPRIZE, private space travles and vehicles. Virgin Galactic for example will have a VSS Enterprise and a VSS Voyager for example.

And - especially to remark - Star Trek is stimulating creativity.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:56 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
But there indirect relations to the XPRIZE at least: Gene Roddenberries son is member of the board of trustees or another gremium of the Foundation, Star Trek causes dreams of travels through space and triggers interest, Star Trek provides ideas (as I said in another thread last year) and Star Trek could provide advertisaemnet effects for the XPRIZE, private space travles and vehicles. Virgin Galactic for example will have a VSS Enterprise and a VSS Voyager for example.

And - especially to remark - Star Trek is stimulating creativity.

Pretty Tenuous. :)

I think it is looking a bit worn these days and should be retired until some better stories come along, I'm sorry I know a lot of you will disagree but I think the original was best. Nothing better than seeing Captain James T Kirk being savaged by another actor under a piece of old carpet while he tried to keep his belly sucked in. :)

I thought the enterprise series showed promise at first but it quickly ran out of steam and lost my interest.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:14 pm
I agree concerning The Orgininal Series and James T. Kirk. The Next Generation has some good stories but its far behing The Original Series in General. This is valid for Star Trek Voyager too but this in general ist still better than The Next Generation.

What is well comparable to The Orgininal Series is Enterprise with Captain Archer in my eyes.

:) What wonder? The Original Series is closer to our times than The Next Generation or Star Trek Voyager - An Captain Archer again is closer to our times. So they are more interesting, living and have more adventures... :)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:12 am
I'm with Strategery71 and Andy Hill on this one. If Star-Trek dissappears, then great. Sure, it was an undeniable source of much space-dreaming, and even gave us the flat-screen CRT (although LCD soon came to replace it). All good things need to know when to be retired, though, and for Star Trek, it was a number of years ago. There are many other shows that serve a similar purpose, that may easily keep the ball rolling.

Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:58 pm
I agree that the stories have lost their richness of ideas - and that's a shame. But this may be repaired by calling new authors. Some books about Star Trek say that The Next Generation follows the normal evolution of the world as our real world does too - that may be the error and the mistake of the current authors and producers.And they have lost a great portion of their creativity.

But Star Trek is a whole world and The Original Series and the Archer-series at least explicitly try to rely on correct and real physics like Relativity Theory, Quantum Theory and so on - where as The Next Generation has left that healthy and good path.

To try to keep all within real physics kept it challenging for the authors and producers and this in turn caused The Original Series to be that good. It kept all close to the drems of their fans. But The Next Generation and Star Trek Voyager have been lead away from the dreams of the fans.

There have been that much new findings of the astronomers and physicists during the last decade that these findings provide rich opportunities and possibilities to keep Star Trek exciting and interesting.

All in all: the wrong people at work to a certain degree. It could be sufficient to call for a chage of the authors.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:28 pm
All you need to do is watch the first 13 episodes of the new Battlestar Galactica to find something lacking in newer Trek. The technobabble and the "POTW/FOTW" stuff has been done to death. I suggest finding BSG online if it does not air in your country. (scifi.com is hosting the first episode.. finding the rest would be *coughbittorrentcough* up to you)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post STARWARS   Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:56 pm
Check this last chapter of starwars.

http://www.tpu.fi/~t4jlaaks/ep3/

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm
I'll pass. I've refused to watch the prequels since Ep. 1 came out. My fiance really wants to see Ep. 3 though.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Strategery71 wrote:
I'll pass. I've refused to watch the prequels since Ep. 1 came out. My fiance really wants to see Ep. 3 though.

You will succumb to the dark side in the end. :)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:36 pm
No, not really. Even the most die-hard Star Wars fans I know, my fiance included, respect my point of view on it. No one tries to push me into watching the movies. Star Wars just isn't at the top of my preferred sci-fi viewing list. (Babylon 5 first, new-BSG second, ST/TNG/DS9 third, original 3 Star Wars movies fourth) The more they put out, the more I think Lucas is a second-rate hack (his best movie, ESB, was the one with the least input from him) compared to people like JMS and even Ron Moore now.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:11 pm
I don't particularly like Enterprise, or any Star Trek after TNG.
Exception: any episode with 7 of 9. she's hooooot.
resistance is futile honey

Thank you