Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Volvo Ad

Volvo Ad

Posted by: spacecowboy - Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:39 pm
 [ 27 posts ] 
Volvo Ad 

What do you think of the Volvo Superbowl ad?
This is the harbinger of great things to come! 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
It's nothing more than a one-off publicity stunt, and won't be repeated 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Volvo Ad 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:21 pm
Strategery71 wrote:
BTW, if you want to see the commercial itself, here:

http://sports.channel.aol.com/nfl/superbowlads

Lol, pretty silly if you ask me. I've never heard the voice of Branson but it simply doesn't fit in the commercial. Let alone the lif-off of the rocket. Why don't they use some ss1 footage?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:19 pm
Andy Hill wrote:
What chance has the rest of us got of understanding it if even Americans cant agree on how long a game is? :lol:

The problem is that the Super Bowl is a huge hype-fest. The 1-2 week* gap between the conference title games and the Super Bowl is filled with inane talk. Then, the day of the game, the talking-heads go nuts pretty much from sunrise to kickoff. It's pretty easy to lose all track of time in the deluge. Compound that with the possibility that a good percentage of the viewers are completely liquored up by kickoff, and it's not too hard to see why the time span would be in question.

Unfortunately, I suppose a great many non-fans would judge the sport by what they're most likely to see of it, which is the Super Bowl.. and more often than not, the Super Bowl is one of the most boring games of the season if you're not a fan of one of the teams playing. (and the talking-head deluge doesn't help) Even the Super Bowl "my" team played in was in all honesty not that exciting, with "my" team winning 48-21 in a blowout.

Now, back to the topic, since I'm not all that big on talking about sports. I wasn't impressed with the ad. Nothing about it made me think about a chance to ride in SS1 or whatever version they intend to fly. Other than being a bigger symbol of power and what not, why even show a Saturn V in a commercial partially about a chance to win a ride on a civilian spaceflight?

Amusingly, as I was typing this out on one PC, I loaded an article on space.com on the other PC and got a large ad for the same thing.. more of the Saturn rocket, and then the Volvo, and the talk of winning. I just don't see the connection very well, beyond what I stated above. As ad campaigns go, I don't think this is a very good one.. but it doesn't yet seem bad enough that it could be any sort of negative impact.

* -- 1 week in the case of my favorite team that went a couple years ago, but now 2 weeks is apparently the mandatory gap between the two conference championship games and the Super Bowl.. even if that violates the old unwritten rule that the game should be held in January. Don't ask, I have no idea why that even mattered..

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Ah, but I don't claim to know anything about football; I just threw out my own idea that I might possible have heard somewhere when half-asleep from somebody's second cousin three times removed that a football game takes two hours, +/- 1hr.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Volvo has their ad on the AIM front page as well. Much to my surprise, I signed on this afternoon to see this:

Interesting but yes, I was quite confused by the NASA ground control countdown and the Saturn launch.

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:34 am
spacecowboy wrote:
Ah, but I don't claim to know anything about football; I just threw out my own idea that I might possible have heard somewhere when half-asleep from somebody's second cousin three times removed that a football game takes two hours, +/- 1hr.

Not knowing much about football isn't a crime, contrary to what most football fans would lead you to believe. :shock: :P

Four hours, five hours, six hours.. I think I explained how it could seem like ten or twelve hours.. heh.

Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:56 am
Reaction to suggeted Ad change:

"Why is that funny little plane in the ad? I thought you were supposed to win a trip space. You can't go to space in a plane. That's whats wrong with the Space Shuttle, it looks to much like a plane and thats why it explodes. Na rockets are supposed to look like Apollo, you know, the moon rocket. Yah, now those thing are SAFE. One exploded but everyone made it home safe anyway. I think there was a movie about it..."

Remember the ad played during the *SuperBowl*.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:53 pm
Hey, watch it! Even some rocket scientists occaisonally watch football!

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:33 am
Volvo are a weird company. They have just started to make some half decent looking cars instead of those horrible boxes and then they start with the crap adverts! The one's they are running here are so cringe-worthy you wouldn't want to be seen in their products (life on board project?). Still, they make fine jet engines so there is no doubting their technical expertise. It is a Volvo engine in the Bae/SAAB Gripen.
Regarding the timescale of American Football games, it now makes sense why the squads are so large and the high number of substitutions permitted! But why the engine oil under the eyes!? WHY!? WHY!?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:40 am
Supposedly it helps take away glare during daytime games, ya know the whole black absorbs light thing? SUPPOSEDLY... However if you ever see american football players wearing it in a night game, feel free to slap them, they are only doing it to look 'intimidating.'

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:57 am
eraurocktchick87 wrote:
However if you ever see american football players wearing it in a night game, feel free to slap them, they are only doing it to look 'intimidating.'

Not necessarily, The game lasts so long that there is no guarantee that a night game wont finish in daylight. :)

Probably explains why there are so many team members also, they probably have to run a shift system to get to the end of a match. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:38 pm
Well thats a bit of an overstatement :P I think the only way a game would start in the dark and end in the light would be if it started at 4:30 in the morning :P

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 am
COuldn't expect all those highly paid Athletes to get up that early. Mind you they probably couldn't see properly in the dark to but their engine oil makeup on. :)

Profile WWW