Community > Forum > Centennial Challenges > Howabout a Suspended Animation prize

Howabout a Suspended Animation prize

Posted by: bad_astra - Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:57 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Howabout a Suspended Animation prize 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Howabout a Suspended Animation prize   Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:57 pm
Suppose someone came up with some novel means of Suspended Animation that involved yoga or biofeedback w/hypnotism, etc.. seems like NASA would be highly interested.

I have no clue, it's just been a long while since I started up a topic.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:05 pm
:shock:
Do to the medical dangers involved in the idea it is best to leave this to the professionals and not to encourage the back yard Doc wannabies from freezing them selves or worse some one else.

Yoga or biofeedback and hypnotism will not produce Suspended Animation. Freezing or some other method will be needed. And any other method used will most likely be just as deadly as freezing if you don’t get it right the first time.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:37 pm
Well eventually we are going to either need this or Alter our genetics to be able to hybernate or have a natural Anti freez, this will be done with genetics.. because humans at the moment wont be much good if frozen for a LONG period. Cells get damaged.

This stuff is being researched anyway.. For long space travel humans are probably gonna need Genetic enhancments. period

Last edited by whoa182 on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:36 am
There's an organization I read about a while back that is for genetic human modifications such as that, the Extropy Institute. (www.extropy.org) There was a great article about them in New Scientist about six months back, I'll dig it up if you like, it was quite fascinating.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:37 am
Hmmm .... suspended animation, sleeping in the fridge ... reminds me of a cool yet educational story which relates a bit to what some of you guys are talking about ...

Many years ago, when I was a proto-scientist (i.e. a student) I attended a biochemistry conference and listen to this Canadian professor talk about some amazing frogs ...

See these frogs hibernate in winter, they burrow under the leaf litter a bit and then just sleep out the season. Come spring they wake up and resume their journey through life. The trouble is that, during winter, they freeze solid. They live in Canada.

I mean the guy is telling us this and he has this little portable cooler on a table right next to him ... right ... and get this ... he stops his story and gets something out of the cooler and shows it to us, it's a frog.

Now this guy just lightly taps the frog on the table and it makes a nice sound that resonates in the room (big room). The frog is frozen. Most of us are thinking ... what the hey? He's rappin with a frozen frog?

So he puts the frog down on the lecturn in front of him and continues to talk, he says that the frog has this ability to inject massive quantities of sugar into its cells very quickly and this is something that happens automatically at a certain temperature during a particular rate of temperature change (downward, getting colder, that direction see?). He goes on about glucose transporters, induction of torpor and suchlike things for long enough for us to more or less forget about the frog.

But see the frog has been sitting on the lectern under a warm light, and it began to thaw. Well ... to cut a long story short it woke up, right there in front of us ... I mean there it was, in suspended animation, frozen and then a few minutes later it was slowly creeping around a bit.

Apparently you can do this to the frog repeatedly (freeze/thaw cycles) and if it is harmful then this is not apparent. Basically the sugar acts as an antifreeze in the cells, and protects them from being shredded by ice-crystal formation during the freezing process.

DKH

(I swear it's true! Go HERE and check it out yourself)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:52 pm
That's pretty cool. I bet that would make a neat pet, and if you go on vacation you can just stick him in the freezer.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:31 pm
I think for trully long space voyages, human genomes are going to have to be altered in ways, if not like this, then similarly. Much easier then a generation ship.

Profile YIM
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:44 am
I suppose that a genome only can be altered before birth of a being and never as part of an existing being. And it cannot be switched around as required by the environment.

So this doesn't seem to be a concept of travelling to the stars or the planets - it's merely a kind of seeding. ...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:45 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
I suppose that a genome only can be altered before birth of a being and never as part of an existing being.

Until we get gene therapy to work properly, that is.

Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
And it cannot be switched around as required by the environment.

Genes can activate and deactivate in response to environmental stimuli.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:29 am
I think it will unfortunately be a very long time before that happens. People tend to call you a mad scientist when you tell them of your plan to spawn a race of super-mutants.

So that pretty much rules out the organic approach. Although I'd imagine we could do the same thing with nanomachines circulating in our bloodstreams, slowing down our metabolisms while still keeping us alive. But I for one don't like of further integrating man with machine, because I believe that if humanity goes down that road, we may get to a point where we could no longer tell where the man ends and the machine begins. I'd rather be a mutant than a robot.

Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:10 am
Hello, Stellvia,

as far as I know gene therapy is a method to heal cancer only - not to change man'S genome temporaryly as required by the environment of another planete -Venus, Mars, Titan, Europa... And it takes time to show results. It wil be causing other sicknesses to do a "therapy" everytiem an astronaut changes the planet he has to visit travelling around at one mission before his return to earth.

The activation of genes by the environment depends on the existence of genes that can react to that environment and the activation doesn't necessaryly ba positive for the astronaut

So it has to be discussed in detail I think - I would like to read more from Dr_Keith_H concerning this.

Last but not least - today I read an article under www.xprizenew.org saying that the XPRIZE Foundation together with another organization of about 800 members is going to set technology prizes INCLUDING MEDIINE.

Perhaps your topic, bad_astra, will be handled there and you or someone else or we should propose it there.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:53 am
Wow ... you guys are finally talking about my kind of science! Talk about waaaayyy off topic ... hehe. :lol:

Gene therapy is not only for cancer, it is hoped to be useful for many kinds of diseases which arise from genetic problems. It is something which is largely still in its infancy and is considered highly experimental.

Gene therapy, unless it targets germ line cells, will not result in genetic changes which will pass on to subsequent generations.

Any gene therapy which intends to alter YOU (as a multicellular being), for whatever SYSTEMIC outcome, is so damn far into the future that you better forget about it ever applying to you right now.

However, IF we knew the genes necessary to enable US to survive long term hibernation (and we DONT), then there is a chance that we could engineer humans. However, how do you know that the human egg you are genetically engineering for long term space travel even WANTS to do that?

In short, genetic engineering designed to facilitate human space travel is extremely unlikely to be pursued. Much better to pursue a deeper understanding of how human beings function and working with that.

Support basic biological research! There, you have just been spammed.

DKH

P.S.
Ekkehard wrote:
The activation of genes by the environment depends on the existence of genes that can react to that environment and the activation doesn't necessaryly ba positive for the astronaut

Is absolutely correct.
Stellvia wrote:
Genes can activate and deactivate in response to environmental stimuli.

Is, also, absolutely correct.

It warms the cockles of my heart boys, it surely does.