Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > $100,000 matching dollar challenge

$100,000 matching dollar challenge

Posted by: Voyager4D - Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:06 pm
 [ 18 posts ] 
$100,000 matching dollar challenge 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Skandinavia, Europe, Blue planet
Post $100,000 matching dollar challenge   Posted on: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:06 pm
http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=xprizefoundation
The Ansari X PRIZE was a huge success but our mission has just begun and we need your help. It took every penny that we could raise to get us to this point it it was well worth it. We made the decision to employ every resource of the Foundation to maximize the impact of the recent X PRIZE Competition. The worldwide attention that resulted from this decision showed that we made a good bet. But it leaves our fuel tanks dry when we urgently need to take action.

We have recently received a $100,000 matching dollar challenge from a small group of generous X PRIZE donors. That means that for every dollar that we are able to raise before December 31st they will match it! This means that if you donate $500 it will be doubled by the challenge and we will receive $1000. Give as much as you can from $20 to $100,000 because every dollar counts.

At the moment we are only at 1% of the $100.000..
We can do better than that..
Sell some of you x-mas presents a donate a little (or a lot) to the x-prize... :D
Do somthing..

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:49 pm
for more info: http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=674

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:37 am
It went ok, the first day, but the funds seemed to have stopped now...
We are at 4% and standing still....
Still 23 days to go...
Spread the word, we need more funds...

Anyway.. Anyone having a good idea how X-prize could earn some money?

Could they make a lottery? Is that legal?
With cash prices and maybe a space-trip as main prize...

Should they start investing in stock, to let the money grow?

Should they start to sell more commercial items? What should that be?

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:39 am
How about a game?

You could have a game based on the X-prize with players fielding their own teams to build a launch vehicle.

The game could contain characters from the real teams and excepts from other teams rocket tests or test flights, a bit like the original SimCity does.

Why not talk to John Carmack and see if ID would be interested in doing something, he might contribute his voice for his character.

I'm sure it would appeal to a lot of space emthusiasts, especilly those that have followed the competition for the last year. It would also have the bonus of creating publicity for the organisation.

I know this will not help with the immeadiate fund raising but might be a good idea for long term as the game is updated and evolved with new events as they happen in the real world. A small subscription could be charged for an online version where players could compete against many more teams.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:50 am
Yes, a good idea...

We talked a little about that before..
And i think Sigurd made a little game..
But maby a good idea to get Carmack involved in that...

Btw. I made a post at www.space.com, lets see if that help anything...

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:18 am
The problem with a game is...

1) It takes about 2 years time to develop
2) Someone will have to invest about 20 to 50 Million US$ to pay the project.
3) The game "needs" to be good, to get a publisher deal.
4) With the current X PRIZE community activity.. we could better invest the development costs into something diffrent...
5) There is no way, an open source game can be made using the latest technologies, even getting the team (artists, programmers, voice actors, ... ) and to let them work toghetter is as good as not possible to do without a lot of money.

(For people who don't know and think to criticize me, I'm a Co-owner and Technical Director / Lead Programmer of a game development company)
A few weeks back in a convention, a game "dreamer" ;) proposed to develop a Private Industry Space game, for only a few Million US$... too bad for him.. John Carmack was in the same room ;) It took only a few seconds for John to get up and say it's not possible, he'll need to have a lot more money for it... I think his dream was suddenly "pushed" away by one of the best game developers on this planet :).

I think most people who know how to develop games, know that you'll need "more" people to develop this game, compared to develop a rocket... that's why developing 1 game will be "more" expensive as SpaceShipOne.

Why don't create a great "hollywood" movie about the X PRIZE ? also very expensive.. so who's going to pay ? ;)

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:30 am
The XPRIZE won since two months I still think a book would be a good idea - a book about the competition seen and experienced from and by the Foundation. Similar as "Baghdad" about the War in Iraq which describes the war as seen by a CNN-reporter in Baghdad.

Bad example - I know. There too is a book written by Ross Perot about the adventure of rescuing hsi employees out of Iran in 1979 - may be abetter example.

Such a book about the competition could find many readers I think and get the Foundation much money. It could include the next adventure - the preparation of the XPRIZE CUP. And perhaps some temas would contribute to the contents.

What about this way?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:43 am
Yes, nice idea..

And then also a DVD, with high quality video...
With video from the event, and from the road to the event...
And interviews with different persons... Also with the other teams..

edit: Ahh.. They have that already.. pretty cheap.. But out of stock..
http://www.thespacestore.com/anxprcd.html

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:18 pm
It could include worked out vision of the future too to get and keep the attention of the readers for the future and to get their assitance to make that future real.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:28 pm
I wasn't suggesting that the X-prize foundation pay to develope a game, I was wondering whether it might partner with a software house.

The foundation could give permission to use its logo, any video clips and other source material it has as well as acting as a focal point between the software house and teams.
In return for this the foundation could receive either a one off payment or a share in any royalties generated by the game (this would be a better option as it would give the foundation a long term income stream).

The game could have aspects including the financing of the project where a team can only build components when they have raised sufficient money unless they can attract a wealthy backer (I see a cameo for Paul Allen here- didnt he have something to do with a software house at some point, micro something or other I think). :lol:

Rockets not properly designed would blow up during testing or the FAA could revoke flight licences.

Anyone who really got into the game could have the opportunity to meet some of the characters in real life at one of the X-Prize cup meetings: it would almost be like meeting Luke Skywalker in person (only without the light sabre of course). :lol:

I would buy a copy, now only another couple of million other takers necessary.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:42 pm
The software house and its teams would pay for the use of the Foundation's logo only if the software house has an economic advantage from using the logo - increasing number of customers etc.

Today this wouldn't be the case - the Foundation would have the advantage and the software house, the game producer would claim to be payed for using the logo.

It would work only if the situation would change and the Foundation would be known widely in the general public and have a general very positive image - they have a very good image yes but they are not known as widely as required I suppose.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:46 pm
While that may be true, who can say what the situation will be in a few years ( the time it takes to develope a game). If there are more launches, as seems likely, and the x-prize cup is a success then being identified with the X-prize organisation will have some worth.

The basic concept of designing and launching a manned rocket for a game is OK but with the addition of the real world X-prize teams and characters it is given another dimension.

A paid royalty on every game would mean that there was no initial cost to the software house and that they would be getting a ready made framework to hang the game around. This would make it more appealing to the purchaser irrespective of the X-prizes notoriety. I think that it would be more interesting to base a game on current reality rather than some possible far future scenario.

I suspect that software houses are always on the lookout for game ideas and thought that this might be a good one to pick.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:03 pm
Then you might have intended a slightly different idea in principle.

You might have had in mind, that the Foundation should develop its own game idea - but the idea only - and then sell this idea to a software house or game developing company.

I don't know wether this is possible in the US but in Germany the property rights are really as follows. If someone writes a novel and somebody else later writes another novel using the same characters and figures like the earlier novel then the author of the earlier novel is the owner of all revenues the later author will get - the later author has to give all the revenues to the earlier author.

This applies too if the later author didn't write a novel but has created a game using the characters etc. of the novel of the earlier author.

If the Foundation develops the idea only but doesn't try to program the game itself it could sell the idea. That would be valid too if only somone else would develop a game in which the Foundation is included - the Foundation would be the owner of the revenues then. The Foundation only needs to claim all rights explicitly on its name etc.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:19 pm
There wouldn't be much in it for the software house if all the revenue was owned by the X-prize foundation. I was thinking that the x-prize foundation could allow a licence to use its name based on a royalty being paid to them.

The foundation could aid in the games development to make it more realistic, after all they have monitored the process for real. Who better to know the big picture? individual teams know the problems that beset them, the foundation is aware of the problems (or most of them) for all teams.

I see no reason why a deal cant be made and even if the x-prize were to dissappear tomorrow then it would still be a viable game with enough aspects to keep people's interest.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:25 am
Hmmmm.. It doesn’t look good.. we are only barely at 5% (actually only 4.5%)...
At the moment it looks like we will be lucky if $10.000 is collected...

My guess is that about 150 each gave about $30...

Well I know that x-mas month isn't the best month to collect money.. But hey 150 people in the whole world.... There must be other people out there that would help X-prize continue on it’s journey.

Profile WWW