Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > After the award is given and the media goes away...

After the award is given and the media goes away...

Posted by: Tonyinnc - Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:59 am
 [ 6 posts ] 
After the award is given and the media goes away... 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post After the award is given and the media goes away...   Posted on: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:59 am
Please tell me what the X-Prize will do to assist the other aerospace companies that come in second, third...

Where will the funding come from to help other aerospace companies?

Is there any info at the X-Prize website about what happens after the $10 million award is given? Does the X-Prize then close up shop?

What plans are next to help the other aerospace companies that need financial support?

Thanks,

Tony

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:55 am
It's a winner take-all proposition. Many of the X-prize contenders are hoping to make money by lifting paying passengers into space. There's also the possibility of the X-Cup which would award prizes to teams based on various flight objectives.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:28 pm
Thanks Spacerat for your comment.

I see it this way... Winner take all... but we all know there are other aerospace companies and they won't get diddley squat - except for some unknown prize possibility.

I took the time to have studied The Mission of the X-Prize and seems to me it will be lights out after the prize has been awarded. What will the X-Prize do after the award is given and the media goes away?

I would please like to know what financial or on-going support will be given to the other aerospace companies that have signed up for the X-Prize. We all know there will be ONE winner and 19+ loosers.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:13 pm
Quote:
We all know there will be ONE winner and 19+ loosers.

I don't agree, I know there will be 1 team, on the first place in history with $10M but all others will write history with using other kind of vehicles, will make their own space commercial businesses AND the x-prize will be remembered because of the x-cup! (read the front page news of xprize.org).
Each year every team will get again a chance to win other chalanges with their vehicles for money and create again world news with their team and with the x-cup name.
It will be like NASCAR with cars, football as best teams, tennis as best players, ... rockets and space vehicles will be next!
So the x-prize event, isn't the end, it's the beginning!

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:21 am
Sigurd, I certainly would like to see such an event whereby each year a prize would be awarded. Do you think the prize can be $10 Million USD?

I truly feel it is very important for the other aerospace companies that are doing very best... should also realize that there is funding available for their effort to launch a vehicle and return it safely and launch again.

So... the critical question arises... what is being done now to raise the millions and how much has been raised for the other aerospace companies?

Thanks Siguard for your wisdom. This is very true... there should not be 19+ losers ... but the spirit of hope along with a serious prize ($10 Million) should live on.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:55 am
Hey Tonyinnc,

I don't think the prices will be as large as $10 million for the x-cup.
But almost all teams are funded and supported by "sponsors" for advertisement and "investors".
(Possible in time, with NASCAR powering the x-cup the challange may get such a succes that the prices will be even over $10m)

So they have monney with sponsors and they will only have to repay the investors.

John Carmack wrote that he used already over $US1 Million for his project, but just consider how much he can earn when all works... he can sell tickets to space for over US$ 100K each.
And when he has 1 working vehicle, it won't be hard making a second, cause all research has been done, only the hardware has to be remade.
John Carmack is his own investor so for him it's for sure less a problem.

So IF they succeed I don't think profit is at all a problem.
But the x-cup will keep the team spirit and the challanges alive.

So when teams make profit (or not, when backed by rich people or so) then they will also make new vehicles with the old research + new research each time, making it each time one step better, until we'll have a large commercial space industry with large vehicles, like current aiplanes going to space and back. (maybe soon a trip to mars ;))

Profile WWW