Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > x-prize.blogpot news! private russian ship to mars!

x-prize.blogpot news! private russian ship to mars!

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:32 am
 [ 2 posts ] 
x-prize.blogpot news! private russian ship to mars! 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post x-prize.blogpot news! private russian ship to mars!   Posted on: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:32 am
1)ok lads, come on not one msg about the latest news here? i was pissing myself when i saw that msg about a british steam spacecraft from good old queen vicki's reign. anyone heard anymore on this? could be a laugh to try n follow it!! any other links available, id certainly love to see that! winning the x-prize! come on, or was it as the topic says "joke" ?

2)Nxt quite interesting about a russian spaceplane, but kind of in the realms of sciencefiction no?

3) just read on the bbc russians have this idea about a private craft going to mars in 10 years on a live reality show! lasting 3years! would be very interesting though scientists have blasted it as crap! but that would take an x-prize ish mission to another level! its on the bbc science page anywayss

Rob

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:40 am
There is a difference between what is doable, what is doable with a lot of cash, and what is doable but wont be done and of course fiction.

The victorians would have been hard pushed for a decent control system, and their mastery of aluminum wasn't so hot. Maybe a shocker of a craft done in wood might have got somewheres... I relegated this stuff to fiction until I read "Monturiols Dream" by Matthew Stewart. I don't think it would have achieved X Prize level though. I think that is safely fiction.

The russian spaceplane is possible, technically. But since Buran is still gathering dust its realisation is exceedingly remote.

Now a reality show made by russians going to mars... I hate to say is the most likely thing on the list. The Russian Space Agency is the most market driven governmental unit in Russia. They have more of the required tech than anybody (Energia, Mir, etc.) so all they need to figure out is how to actually hit Mars (harder than it sounds apparently) and Ivans your uncle.

Scientists blast anything as crap and laud everything in alternating amounts. Science itself is pretty shaky.

Profile ICQ YIM