Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > X2 Prize

X2 Prize

Posted by: NewEntity1 - Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:28 pm
 [ 9 posts ] 
X2 Prize 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post X2 Prize   Posted on: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:28 pm
Since it seems likely that at least one team (and most likely more than one team) will meet the requirements to win the X-prize before the deadline, its time to start thinking beyond the X-prize to the next competition. The new prize should run for at least 3 years.

I believe that a new prize that pushes the envelope even further should follow on the heals of the X-prize as soon as possible. Others on the space.com forums have expressed similar desires at various times as well. For space access to become truly affordable, new and greater challenges must be posed. However, these challenges should be provided in small incremental steps; otherwise, the next challenge is liable to not be met.

The next next, which I will dub the X2-prize, should set the bar just a little higher. Something on the order of requiring four people to 150 km twice within two weeks time. The reward money should be a little higher, but not much...maybe $15 million. The winning team would naturally be expected to spend somewhat more than this to win the prize, but make up the difference between their costs and the reward money by selling extended sub-orbital tourist flights afterwards.

A new prize such as this would also give the losing teams for the current x-prize something to strive for as well, and would mean the investment they have already made toward the current prize would not go completely to waste. True, the current vehicles they are designing would not be capable of winning the new prize. However, they could probably modify their existing hardware for less cost than it would take to create a whole new series of launch vehicles from scratch.

After the X2 prize, there should be yet another prize...an X3 prize! This should push the envelope even further...require four persons ( I didn't feel the need to increase the passenger capacity again) to 250 Km. After that, addition prizes would concentrate on setting ever increasing minimum velocity requirements, until such time as Orbital velocity around Mach 23 is achieved for a "Y" prize.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:44 pm
I think there is no real need for a new prize, the X-Cup (after X-Prize) will have yearly new challanges.
It will be kinda like nascar, but then to break new chalanges on several fields.

This will be the x-prize cup space port, got it from a power point presentation from the xprize board itself.

Last edited by Sigurd on Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:56 pm
i agree, but i think that an x2 prize is a good idea. it should be for full orbital flight, $15M, and end 2010.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:06 pm
For the ending time that was only for the X-Prize because it’s threw an insurance policy. Any other new prize purse will probably be open ended (in cash). I don’t see them being able to get a second insurance policy when they are so close.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Thanks for the info...   Posted on: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:36 pm
Thanks for the info...I'll go ahead and save that image of the X-cup launch facilities :)

I see another thread has been started about the X-Cup now, as well; I've not been on this forum since I last posted, however :shock:

Post    Posted on: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:12 am
The Xprize vehicles will likely be capable of 150 kms and four people. If it wasn't you would just optomize your engine a bit and you're there. An entirley new goal would require an orbit.

Orbit is the next logical step. Winning the xprize will prove its possible to do sub-orbital and get it through the FAA. The next big challenge is getting a private vehicle to fly over multi-national air space with out anybody shooting it down.

It also means someone has to beat Nasa to a decent reusable heatshield.

I think the deadline is important. If you don't have the deadline then you really don't have the drive.

Profile ICQ YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:20 am
I would think the next step would be either fully orbital (fairly easy), lunar orbit (fairly hard) or a lunar landing (really hard). $15, $30, and $65 million prizes, respectively.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:09 pm
I would question how viable X2-Prize would be.

I myself would like to see orbital flight before 2010 and would be keen to invest in a team pushing towards this point.

However I don't think the x-prize foundation will be able to come up with the $15 million purse mentioned. It was mentioned that they would be unable to get an insurance policy, I didn't understand this.

However how excited are people going to be about X2-prize? I imagine many of you are members and so contributed, I didn't as they already had all the money by the time I became aware of x-prize. Would you shell out more money for X2-prize?

Alternatively the huge publicity that we all hope x-prize will receive may help fund X2-prize through new people, if handled correctly.

In my view, it is more likely that we will see private orbital flight from private firms based on the current X-Prize entrants or by heavily funded incumbents. Sub-orbital tourism may have to pay the bills, cause I don't think x-prize will be able to.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post funding   Posted on: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:14 am
Speaking of the upcoming launch. What is everyone's expectations for the number of people to show up at the event? Secondly, I think of the next launch is succesful and the x-prize is won I would not be surprized of oodles of funding suddenly pours in. I think America has been sleeping way too long dreaming of space in the background. Now is as good a time as ever for the public to get interested - like in the apollo missions. All the best. :arrow:

Profile WWW