Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > open source for the project or not?

open source for the project or not?

Posted by: TerraMrs - Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:25 am
 [ 6 posts ] 

Should the project we're talking about be open source or not?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:25 am
Yes 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post open source for the project or not?   Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:25 am
Pros:
- SourceForge acces to free webspace
- more people can work on the source code
- other people can learn from it
Cons:
- Capable of using technology what would be normaly not free (MFC Library, Sigurd's 3D Engine, etc.)
- Faster development time (because of the quality tools)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Skandinavia, Europe, Blue planet
Post    Posted on: Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:42 am
I won't answer that...
It largly depends on what we are going to make...
Then we can see tools and lang. we can use and what is best fore that purpose...
But besides that i'm pros open source...

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:54 am
I personnally think we should go for opensource, cause it's the only fast and easy way we can get good hosting, already a very good project management system, etc etc and if it's open source it will open the way for other people to learn from our code and work.

And the x-prize isn't made to make 1 project, but to open the way for a lot of companies to do it in the future, that's why I also would like to share the code with other people to give them also a chance making it better or making their own version of it. I don't care if they copy it, steal it, ... if they come on the xprize forum, they will know we made it and for what purpose we made it.

Scaled will not show their development details public, but we're not going after a commercial project, do we ?

The type of game/software, can all be done with open source... it may ask more work, cause we can't use all libraries who're not free, but when it's done I think it will give a greater feeling when we can show all... instead of only our "exe" compilation and the result of it.

On this way people can see, how much work it really was to develop the software we'll make.

Personally I would suggest to register soon at sourceforge, so we'll have acces to the webspace already.
On this way we'll be able to make already a deacent community project mannagement system. (but the forum should stay over here).

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:30 am
I think the pros weight more than the cons.
By developping an Open source project we will have more help from outside ...
there are great Open source librairies and engines avaible on the net (and often multi OS), so i think tools and libs qualities it not a problem.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: open source for the project or not?   Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:59 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
Cons:

I don't get how this is a "Con." Wouldn't faster development time be a good thing?

And...another nice thing about OpenSource is how many people can share in the feeling of accomplishment after the game/softwere is fully developed.

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: open source for the project or not?   Posted on: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:15 pm
Eivhen wrote:
TerraMrs wrote:
Cons:

I don't get how this is a "Con." Wouldn't faster development time be a good thing?

that's refering to not open source is faster, sorry about the lack of clarity. because of the tools available for not open source it'll go faster if it's not open, so that's a con for open source.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals